Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anker hub

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my MY delivered last week, absolutely loving it. Kids have discovered emissions test today.

I knew it only came with a single data USB port in glove box, so in preparation I bought an anker USB hub (have seen recommended in model 3 posts) , and sandisk msd card with USB reader, and then a logitech f310 USB controller.

With hub plugged in and usb/sd card plugged in, works fine, when I add the controller it isn't detected. If I plug in controller directly bypassing the hub it works.

Anyone else managing to get a f310 and microsd usb reader working simultaneously or does it only work with powered controllers like xbox one?

With hub plugged in and usb/sd card plugged in, works fine, when I add the controller it isn't detected. If I plug in controller directly bypassing the hub it works.
From the Tesla manual:

"NOTE: Do not connect multiple devices using a USB hub. This can prevent connected devices from charging or from being recognized by Media Player, Sentry Mode, Dashcam, etc."

I believe it is possible to design a USB upstream connection without the protocol to work through a hub (i.e. not recognising more than one downstream device). Not sure why you would, but if the manual is correct it is Tesla you need to complain about, not Anker.

Also, I think the USB A socket in the glovebox is mainly intended for a USB stick to work with dashcam and sentry mode. Tesla seem to expect you to use the USB C sockets in the glovebox and behind the armrest for more devices. Some cars were produced without all of these supporting data - not sure if this is still the case.

Reactions: Spacerat
The rear USB sockets never supported data AFAIK, and many newer cars don't support data on the centre console ports, either, leaving you with only one data-enabled port in the entire car. As the manual says:

For some vehicles manufactured after approximately November 1, 2021, the center console USB ports may only support charging devices. Use the USB port inside the glove box for all other functions.

So your only options are to use a hub, or to avoid connecting more than one device at a time.

The Logitech instructions have the following:

The gamepad works best plugged into a full-powered USB port. If you use a USB hub, it must have its own power supply.

Read more: Logitech Gamepad F310 Instruction Manual - Manuals+

The Anker specification says: Transform one of your computer's USB ports into four. (This hub is not designed to charge devices.)

So the issue would appear to be that you are trying to plug a device requiring power into a USB hub that doesn't appear to power the ports.