Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another door handle diagnosis. Stuck out, switches work.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2012 MS P85,
So yesterday I noticed my driver side front door handle was stuck out. I've had other issues before with every other door, none stuck out but they were sticky and/or didn't work.
I pulled it out and noticed a wire to a switch had it's insulation broken and the wire was corroded. I fixed that and later realized it was the switch to open the door so that wasn't the issue. I looked at all the other switches and they looked fine.
I was able to push the handle in manually to remove it, and tested the handle it of the car and it would still only extend, and it only worked sometimes. Most of the time when it did extend it would almost stutter. It was slow and would move a little and then stop, then move a little and stop.
Sometimes when I was moving wires around it would move, other times it would just sit there no matter what I did. Currently the light stays on no matter what I do, but when I was testing everything last night the light would sometimes go out.
My two guesses are that the motor is broken, or that the controller is broken.
I did look at the motor and took it out of the handle, it has a lot of rust around the bottom so that's why I think it's the motor 0613202346.jpg , but the light acting funny and the assembly not responding to the car occasionally makes me wonder about the controller and the wiring.
Any thoughts? Anything else I should check?
I plan on leaving the handle installed but extended until I get it fixed/replaced because that way I can still get in the drivers door without going through the passenger side.