Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Nifty tool - Compare full costs of EV (model 3) vs ICEV costs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Nuclear Fusion , depreciation at this point would be a random guess. We don't even have an idea of what the resale value for a car that's barely released would be. A bigger question would be , what happens to BMW, Audi resale values when there are used Model 3's on the market? Remember what happened to those cool Motorola flip phones after the iphone was released and became popular? Why would anyone buy a dumb used car when there are smart used cars available?
No, it isn't a random guess.
There's rating websites that do this stuff.
My guess is they would use Model S for reference.

Is that for a 50 amp circuit? A 30 amp 240 V curcit should be plenty for a 3- you could even make do with 20 amp 240v. The new mobile charger has lots of options.

With the current electrical setup, having an EV charging at night and the AC kicking in would not be an ideal situation. Upgrades are necessary. I'd still have to run over 50 ft of cable to get an outlet into the garage from the circuit breaker. To me the circuit breaker should be in the garage, safe from someone who wants to use the "turn off the lights" method to break into someone's home.

Charging in the driveway is not an option since there's the chance I'd wake up with the charger stolen and probably being pawned off (happened with external floodlights, a Ring doorbell, and my favorite pair of shoes).

If in the almost worst case scenario, where the battery and the drive unit are shot after the ESA (in the case both are extended to eight years unlimited mileage or at least 160k miles) is over on the ninth year, does it still make sense to go for a M3 compared to an ICEV where scrap parts and repairs can be had for cheap(er)?
  • $35k
  • $5k PUP
  • $9k 310 miles
  • $4k ESA (guesstimate)
$53k / 8 years = $6,625 cash outflow a year but around $2k of gasoline fuel savings. Maintenance cost is about the same with higher end ICEV at $800/year and then there's that $200 hit per ESA visit (so lumping together small issues would be the best strategy) from years 5 to 8.

I'm sure there will be some residual value left on that vehicle and perhaps the battery and drive unit can be replaced for $15k by then but just saying the M3 is scrapped on year 9. Does it still make sense to get a fun enough car? I'm just been used to Honda and Toyota "reliability".

Just going with my instinct that past the ESA, any "lemon" Tesla (there are many who have perfectly fine Model S'es) might be a huge money pit and maybe it's best to just write the vehicle off and sell it for scrap.

@Khan3 , I'm still confused by the loan behavior. If I make no other changes to the tool upon loading, other than cash to loan, it creates an upfront payment of $3,500 which isn't editable. The asset cost goes to -$4,000. If I change the state to California, the asset cost changes to -$6,000. I'm not clear on this behavior....
ev cost snapshot.PNG

@EdFerg, WA has a special incentive for new EV's under $60k that can travel at least 30 miles on battery power. The first $32,000 of the vehicle price is exempt from Sales Tax. Thats why the Sales Tax value looks so low.

www.insideevs.com/washington-launches-3100-electric-vehicle-incentive-program
www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/altfuelexemptions.html

It's capped at 7500 vehicles, and has been used by about 5400 vehicles as at 08/2017, so early birds will win.

NOTE: There is a list of qualified vehicles, which does not currently include Model 3, but the expectation is that Tesla will apply to have the Model 3 included before it starts delivering cars to the state - since it meets all the criteria.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
@insaneoctane , maybe i could use better terminology .... If you are doing a loan, the bulk of the cost moves from the purchase to the monthly payments that you will be making to pay down the loan and financing charges.

Your purchase "out of pocket" will be mainly the $3500 you pay to Tesla ($1k deposit + $2.5k to place order) ... but then you get some incentives back from Federal and State taxes that offset that out of pocket cost. That's why for states with no incentive ... you pay $3500, but get back $7500 from Federal tax incentive .. putting you ahead by $4000.

• Informative
I think I'll need to update the tool to include "Charger installation" options and costs since this is definitely and upfront cost for most new model 3 owners (existing model S/X owners being the exception)

From the threads I've read here, it seems like it might even be a good candidate for a future "Nifty tool". Costs are determined by you existing panel capacity, charging equipment choice, distance of install point from panel, location and target amperage .... would probably be useful to get a ballpark cost for what most of us will need to do .... will put it on my todo list.

• Helpful