Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another thread asking your opinion about buying a used 2016 MS75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SilverGS

Nov 3, 2016
Ontario
I'm sure this question has been answered many times and I have read several threads already about this, so please bear with my noob questions.

1. Are there any gotchas to watch out for on a used 2016 MS75D? A local dealer has a couple of used Model S's and I like this one simply because its within my budget and has the new front end (bumper, LED lights etc) and overall seems to be in decent shape. I have not visited the dealer yet. Will do that sometime this week.

2. Is there any major con to getting this vs different model at the same price but older? Such as a 90D?

Here is the 75D that I'm interested in - 2016 Tesla Model S 75D - Toronto

And here are some others at the same dealer -
Pre-Owned Inventory | Elite Automotive Group

If you plan a lot of travel using Superchargers, the larger battery will charge a little faster. All of the cars will lose range, so starting with a higher range gives the car a little more useful life, perhaps.

If getting a 90 kWh battery, educate yourself on possible faster battery degradation and how to tell which cars might be at issue. I think the 75D's were all produced after problems we're solved. I suspect getting a refresh 90D is safe, but there is a point where you need to be wary of older ones.

From what I've read the Led headlights don't perform as well as the HID lights from the older variants. Also the DRL strip has issues with dimming or failing VS the older lights. Factory warranty should cover the drls if still in effect.
Thanks for the heads up! Had not seen this in my reading.

If you plan a lot of travel using Superchargers, the larger battery will charge a little faster. All of the cars will lose range, so starting with a higher range gives the car a little more useful life, perhaps.

If getting a 90 kWh battery, educate yourself on possible faster battery degradation and how to tell which cars might be at issue. I think the 75D's were all produced after problems we're solved. I suspect getting a refresh 90D is safe, but there is a point where you need to be wary of older ones.
Thanks for the tip! I don't travel a lot, so this won't be applicable to me. Travel by car is at the most maybe once in 2 years.

Visited a used car dealer near my home last night - Shift Motors - they "specialize" in Tesla's and Minis.

Drove a 2015 P90D as the 2015 P85D that the sales guy got me interested in was too far back in the warehouse to take out in the short time left while the store was open. Needless to say, no description is good enough to describe the feeling in a P90D when you push down the accelerator pedal even slightly.

Anyway after about 30 mins of trying to get them to come down on this car - they discounted it to CAD$69K (approx USD$51.6K) with 85K miles (clean CarFax, no accidents and has had two previous owners).
https://shiftmotors.com/inventory/t...ce-of-teslas-incredible-8-year-infinite-mile/

1. Does this look like a good deal on the surface?
2. Should I instead be looking for something newer with less miles?

At this mileage, what should I be checking to ensure is not broken or has issues with?

I think I'm a tad emotionally involved now and need someone to say in black and white, hey walk away from this and keep looking because of x, y, z...................

Wow, that is a lot of miles. Not that that, specifically, is an issue, but you will not have any warranty (unless the dealer provides something). Teslas are very expensive to repair when they do need repair.

There is an advantage to being able to actually see the car, of course, rather than dealing blind on the Internet.

There really isn't a lot to look for that you can't see readily. Listen for excessive sound from the motors -- you will hear some gentle whine from the front but you should have to listen for it. Perhaps go ahead and drive the other P85D they have and compare.

Suspension issues are difficult because a dealer is going to change out the tires, so wear patterns are usually meaningless. Check that all the tires are the same as far as brand and model. If you know how, check the date of manufacture of the tires. Tires on a D should wear pretty evenly.

If you have someone who knows how to look for hidden body repairs, get them to take a look.

Wow, that is a lot of miles. Not that that, specifically, is an issue, but you will not have any warranty (unless the dealer provides something). Teslas are very expensive to repair when they do need repair.

There is an advantage to being able to actually see the car, of course, rather than dealing blind on the Internet.

There really isn't a lot to look for that you can't see readily. Listen for excessive sound from the motors -- you will hear some gentle whine from the front but you should have to listen for it. Perhaps go ahead and drive the other P85D they have and compare.

Suspension issues are difficult because a dealer is going to change out the tires, so wear patterns are usually meaningless. Check that all the tires are the same as far as brand and model. If you know how, check the date of manufacture of the tires. Tires on a D should wear pretty evenly.

If you have someone who knows how to look for hidden body repairs, get them to take a look.

Thanks Bert. I actually saw the car in person, just didn't get to drive it yet.
About the warranty - yes very good point, perhaps its better to look for something else with less mileage.
Noted tips about the suspension and motor whine.
They actually have quite a few P85D's in stock - good tip to check out the others and get something with less miles instead.

Only you know if it's a good price / one you're comfortable with, but do not get emotional about a car purchase. Their ad says 91K KM, you say 85K miles ??? That's a big difference as 91,000 KM is about 56,000 miles.

I don't know how Tesla Canada handles their warranty, but in the US you cannot get an extended warranty from Tesla unless you're under a certain mileage. Or, if you buy from any dealer other than Tesla. I'd really want a good warranty or at least a thorough going over from a SC. Also, and FWIW, it has the Yacht Floor which I would have to modify as there's already too little storage in front. And, it's AP1. AP2 means more to me than it being a P, but it is a great looking S.

Have you looked for a private seller?

Only you know if it's a good price / one you're comfortable with, but do not get emotional about a car purchase. Their ad says 91K KM, you say 85K miles ??? That's a big difference as 91,000 KM is about 56,000 miles.

I don't know how Tesla Canada handles their warranty, but in the US you cannot get an extended warranty from Tesla unless you're under a certain mileage. Or, if you buy from any dealer other than Tesla. I'd really want a good warranty or at least a thorough going over from a SC. Also, and FWIW, it has the Yacht Floor which I would have to modify as there's already too little storage in front. And, it's AP1. AP2 means more to me than it being a P, but it is a great looking S.

Have you looked for a private seller?
Sorry, I linked the wrong car that I'm interested in. This is the correct car - TESLA MODEL S P85D AUTOPILOT, RARE REAR RECARO SEATS (1-19-12) - Shift Motors Burlington

I haven't really considered private as I'm trading in two ICE cars. I just don't have the time or patience to try and sell them privately.

If they come down to $65K and a warranty, I will be comfortable buying it. I'm talking to the owner later tonight and will consider it if they offer a good warranty.

There's a lot of services that will buy your car now, Carvana, KBB, Zoom and a few others. They give you a price online and then you take it to a local dealer and they'll buy it - no trade in required. I was told there were 3 dealers interested in my trade and they went higher than the online quote (which was already pretty good) :)

I would really consider taking that car to Tesla and seeing what they say. If the dealer isn't willing to let Tesla look it over then I would walk. If the dealer isn't willing to pay for Tesla to look the car over I would still do it, just negotiate it into the price. And, if Tesla finds something and you decide to pass, you can sell the report to the dealer for your cost so he knows what to address ;)

There's a lot of services that will buy your car now, Carvana, KBB, Zoom and a few others. They give you a price online and then you take it to a local dealer and they'll buy it - no trade in required. I was told there were 3 dealers interested in my trade and they went higher than the online quote (which was already pretty good) :)

I would really consider taking that car to Tesla and seeing what they say. If the dealer isn't willing to let Tesla look it over then I would walk. If the dealer isn't willing to pay for Tesla to look the car over I would still do it, just negotiate it into the price. And, if Tesla finds something and you decide to pass, you can sell the report to the dealer for your cost so he knows what to address ;)
Thanks, but none of those services are available in Canada. :)

I think I'll try to sell them on my own.

So I can get the 2014 for CAD$68K, however it has had a claim (and repaired by Tesla) - most of rear end was replaced - bumper, sensors, some bars etc for $30K or something.

On the 2015 one, they have offered to throw in a "Lubrico" warranty that is basically a Tesla warranty for free - 40K km/2 years.

Which one do you guys think is better to go with?