Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of buying a used Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Just wanting some advice on what to look out for looking when looking at used Model S to buy, I've wanted one for years and finally in a position where I can get one. (UK based)

After a few weeks of looking at some I drew up a list of what I wanted but have quickly came to the conclusion I won't get everything I'm after on my budget of 20-28k; AP 2 or above is a must as I want FSD capability eventually or preferably with the Tesla I buy so I'm thinking this is 2017 models and above. I wanted a 90D but think I'm going to have to go for a 75D which is still fine for what I need. Free supercharging would be a big bonus but I appreciate these are few and far between on 2017 models and above (I'm aware that only SC01 is transferrable providing is hasn't been through Tesla's hands), MCU2 and CCS upgrades would also be very important to me. Colour of the car isn't an issue but interior is, I'd like to avoid the beige interior, unless every other box is ticked, I could get over it. Battery mileage/ reliability is something that I'm unsure of, is there a level of mileage I should completely avoid and what's the reliability like on the 75D 2017 models with having a short warranty left?

Any further advice or questions would be welcomed and appreciated.

Many thanks,
Ryan.

That's quite the wishlist for a $28k budget. You'll either never find your car, fall for a scam or end up with a salvage title basket case. There's lots of Tesla scams out there with impossibly low prices. People see those and then assume that's the market. I think you may need to increase your budget, decrease your requirements or probably even both if you expect to find a car this year.

Reactions: LeFrankeh
Thanks for the reply and do you think that at 28k in the UK market ($35-$36k). There seems to be a decent selection there that represents a fair deal to me but like I say this is what I'm unsure of. I'm not exactly in a rush to buy one but ideally not wanting to hang around either but I've been on the wrong end of a 'too good to be true deal' so won't be making that mistake again lol.

Beige brightens up the interior compared to black. Circumstances can change so you may regret not going for a bigger battery. Ours is our main car so a 90D was important to me. I got MCU1 and not had any slowness, although Tesla did replace the memory (VCM to eMMC) whilst the car was in for something completely separate. It's pot luck. I bought mine used from Telsa and had 3 door handles, both rear lights, boot strut, whole centre console, wing mirror, air con condenser and TXV valve and an upgraded mechanical charge port all replaced under warranty. Should mean these items will be good for years to come. Other owners may report zero issues. Good luck with your search Ryan.

Yeah that's why I wanted the 90D ideally but the FSD is obviously an expensive upgrade as well should I not get it with the Tesla I buy so it's just weighing up which I want more. I rarely make any long journeys and the odd one I do to Manchester and back, there's a couple of superchargers on the way so would be okay in that respect. At least you had all that replaced under warranty and in your experience sounds like they've been on the ball to get those things sorted, were you ever without the car for long or did they give you a temp car whilst work was being done etc?

Thank you for the feedback.

Yeah that's why I wanted the 90D ideally but the FSD is obviously an expensive upgrade as well should I not get it with the Tesla I buy so it's just weighing up which I want more. I rarely make any long journeys and the odd one I do to Manchester and back, there's a couple of superchargers on the way so would be okay in that respect. At least you had all that replaced under warranty and in your experience sounds like they've been on the ball to get those things sorted, were you ever without the car for long or did they give you a temp car whilst work was being done etc?

Thank you for the feedback.
Mine has stage 1 autopilot which some people prefer. It works fine on the motorways but I don't tend to use it preferring to go with the adaptive cruise control instead.

I've still got some of my used warranty remaining. The items listed was split over two visits to the service department. Arranging the appointment date and the engineers themselves at the service department in my experience have been great. However, whilst the car was booked in for a day, on both visits, my vehicle took a week before I got it back due to waiting on parts or when engineers can fit the car in. Fortunately I had courtesy cars, however I have had to fight to get them when booking on the app. You can't actually communicate with the service department until your vehicle has arrived for it's appointment. You are therefore in contact with an unknown customer service person on the app who has no engineering knowledge so books vehicles for 1 day only appointments but actually the job requires 7 days. I now understand the agents on the app are asking for £75 per day for having access to a courtesy car. I miss speaking to the garage directly.

FSD on a 5+ year old car? You know you can’t take it with you when the cars done right?

My wife has a model 3. I have a Dec 2017 Model X and I currently have a loaner legacy Model S 75D.

The Model S is cool but it feels old compared to the Model 3. Tesla loaners are also not kept particularly well. It has wind noise through the front quarter panel, the boots opens slow. It’s similar vintage to my X but just feels old because it’s not a high spec model. I’d choose her basic Model 3 over this S for sure.

If you’re on a budget AND getting an old car it’s definitely going to feel old. Other than the acceleration of course which always feels epic.

Reactions: LeFrankeh
FSD on a 5+ year old car? You know you can’t take it with you when the cars done right?

My wife has a model 3. I have a Dec 2017 Model X and I currently have a loaner legacy Model S 75D.

The Model S is cool but it feels old compared to the Model 3. Tesla loaners are also not kept particularly well. It has wind noise through the front quarter panel, the boots opens slow. It’s similar vintage to my X but just feels old because it’s not a high spec model. I’d choose her basic Model 3 over this S for sure.

If you’re on a budget AND getting an old car it’s definitely going to feel old. Other than the acceleration of course which always feels epic.
I realise that I'm sacrificing a lot to get a model S, it's a car that I've wanted ever since I seen them, if I had the money to get a newer model, I would. I have looked at the model 3 and I really like the car apart from the interior design, just looks so basic and bland compared to the model S in my opinion. Maybe the model 3 performance can make up for it 🤔

Reactions: Kdewalt10
For the same price as a used Model S, I hate to say this, might as well get the Hyundai Ionic 6. It has 361 miles range max, charges alot faster too. Plus, it's newer. And, you get 3 years of EA fast charging I think.

20-60% or 72 miles to 216 miles (144 miles) of charging less than 5 minutes! for 10 minutes of charging, you'll get 200 miles! Plus, there will be more aftermarket parts that it shares with its ICE cars as well. Also, it will be a matter of time that the Hyundai will use NACS or Tesla Supercharger

Are you shopping on Tesla.com used inventory or third parties?

To each their own, but for me range would be more important than the autopilot hardware. My last Model 3 had FSD, but did not option it on my current one. The base autopilot is already great and does everything you need IMO.

Two things. I live near Durham .. in NC. It might help to be more specific as people can't miss that - though they could miss the UK in other places.

Obvious difference is the $ vs Pound. The other difference is the market. I have a limited idea what the market is in the US but even less so for the UK.

What is it that you think AP2 is giving you? I have AP1 so have given up on following any thread related to newer stuff. And I am probably a bit jaded since the hardward I have was given up on so quickly. That being said, old hardware is never going anywhere. I am not sure that AP2 ever got as good as AP1. With time, Tesla will gradually take away features because of concern over accidents/bad press. My AP1 has gradually been nerfed enough that I don't really use it. Mostly the 1 minute nags that require just the right amount of tug on the wheel to overcome.

No one has FSD. The "F" is a total joke. That being said, no one with AP2 is ever getting anywere close to "F". Follow the lies and "promises". Also try out your service center. Can you get someone on the phone? Call and ask for a part and see if they answer - or call you back. Find someone who has an older S and hear about their stories. Maybe in the UK it is different. I am currently in N. Ireland and see very few Teslas. I have to wonder why. In the US, Teslas are 75%+ of Evs on the road and here it seems like 10%. Other European countries seem to have signficantly more Teslas.

My 2015 S currently got hit from someone running a stop sign. They wouldn't call me back when I was asking about buying a part and my usual shop said he stopped working on Tesla's because of parts availability. The Tesla approved shop has a 2 month wait (not counting waiting for parts).

More important is to make sure you get MCU2 rather than AP2 IMO.

Going to pile on a bit here - I'd suggest range over FSD, all else being equal. FSD is a toy - there's almost no chance it reaches past level 2 in the time you will own this car.

I bought my S for the same reasons you listed - always wanted one, felt like the right time when I bought (market was down). I have a 90D with AP1 and it checks lots of boxes for me. The tech is a step behind the newest 3/Y/S/X, but compared to a 3 or Y it's just a much nicer car overall.

I'd just be wary of when the 8 year battery warranty runs out - the price to replace the battery on these is really high. I'd love to keep this car longer, but I'm not sure it will make financial sense.

Reactions: cmaster
I'll also throw my hat it to say AP1 is great. Did 900 miles last weekend to France and had it on 80%+ of the time. Use the indicator to change lanes. It was rock solid, no phantom braking, nothing weird, it just worked.

Have driven AP2 cars a few times and I just found some of the features like slowing for green lights REALLY annoying. I'm sure you get used to it but AP1 works great for me.

I doubt very much FSD will ever reach AP2 S's and I can't see it ever really working on UK roads on these cars. Down the line on newer cars sure but AP2 FSD in my opinion will never happen in the UK.