Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any good website to read about changes to M3 over the years?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any good website to read about changes to M3 over the years?

Looking to get a used one, not sure what exact difference there is between 2018 to 2019.
I read about the seat is changed but not sure exactly when.
Also any other notable change? Slight modification to suspension and the roof UV material seems to be another one that I don't know the date of.

With Tesla rolling updates an exact timeline for updates is difficult to produce. I can tell you a few things I have noted.

- Suede headliner cancelled and chrome steering wheel emblem changed to satin silver after initial 2018 run.
- Seats changed sometime in transition to 2018 to 2019MY.
- Long-range RWD cancelled sometime before/during 2019MY run. (LR only made as dual-motor)
- Mid-range battery cancelled for 2019MY?
- Window seals firmer and interior quieter from 2019 to 2020MY. (I own both)
- Performance model had a "stealth" version for sometime during 2019MY. (without the 20" wheels, red brakes, spoiler, alum. pedals)
- Sunroof glass changed (orange tint when wet no longer appears)

I'm sure there's more others can chime in about but my advice, as always, is to get the newest model you can afford. Best for features/updates and resale.

Reactions: ahhlun
The P3D- (performance software but without the different wheels/brakes/spoiler/pedals) was the standard Performance model Tesla sold shortly after the P was launched in mid 2018.

It was another $5000 option to add the missing stuff if you wanted it to make a P3D+

Later that year they decided to make that package standard, without changing the price the base P was sold for and no longer offer the P3D- at all.

(P owners who bought before this were offered a choice of a $5000 refund if they were willing to give up lifetime free supercharging)

Anyway, that was it for the P3D- for a while... then in spring-ish 2019 a rando batch of them showed up in inventory.... weirdly for only $2000 more than the LR AWD (which back in 2018 was an $11,000 price difference initially, $6000 if you took the 5k refund).

A few more batches showed up at random times throughout 2019- you could not order one, but if you found one in inventory you could buy it for 2k over the LR AWD price.

Then late 2019 the AWD+ came via the $2000 acceleration boost option... and no more P3D-s showed up for a while... then suddenly it was back on the website available to order specifically.... in that you could pay the full P3D+ but now UNcheck the upgrade box...but get no discount for doing so.

Kinda the opposite of 2018.

Then that went away too.

Tangential to this... all of 2018, and for some chunk of 2019, the physical hardware of the LR AWD and the P3D- was exactly identical

The only difference was software- essentially the P3D- was a software unlocked LR AWD.

Sometime in early 2019 some LR AWDs began showing up with a different, less capable, rear drive unit (the 990- presumably cheaper to make).... and by fall of 2019 it appears it was used in all LR AWDs going forward... (Ps continued to get the 980 that was originally used in everything)

This is why the unofficial LR AWD->Full P upgrade a few places offer requires you to have one of the 980 rear drive unit cars.

(I think I've heard the 990 has now shown up in some SR model 3s as well and maybe even AWD Ys? don't recall the specifics though)