Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any other VW GTI or Golf R converts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had an 8V Mk2 back in the day. That was a fun car despite having no HP and not starting in cold weather. It was my first experience with manuals and have only had them since until the M3P. VW Mk2 GTi 8V, Subaru GL, Honda Prelude SH, BMW 325i 5MT, Infiniti G35s Sedan 6MT, BMW 335i 6MT.

Reactions: jrmt23
I went from a MKVI GTI to a Model 3. I loved the GTI in many ways, but I like the Tesla 1000% more.

The things that were better about the GTI:
--rear visibility
--hatchback (the trunk clearance in the M3 is awful, the opening is so small)
--the car was shorter, so easier to fit in places
--the plaid seats in the GTI were the most comfortable I've ever had in any car (the M3 seats are too squishy)

Pretty much everything else is better in the M3.
The seats in the Model 3 definitely don't bolster as well in the corners like the GTI did!

I come from a hot hatch and sport compact background too, never owned a Golf/GTI/R but I'm with you all in spirit on this jump to Model 3 EV. :)

And yes I absolutely miss having a liftgate! After my first car with a liftgate I vowed to never bother with a sedan again. I kept to that for 15 years, and I was all set to continue with a Polestar 2 Performance (which is a fastback). Then Tesla restocked their Model 3 demo fleet and within a few blocks I realized I was cancelling the P2 order and buy another Tesla. :) (We had tested a Model Y earlier and I hated driving it. It's not a Model 3 hatch, despite looking like one.)

Model 3 and Polestar 2 seem by far the closest EV experiences to a sport compact or hot hatch. Honestly we couldn't do the Model 3 as an only car, the trunk is too restrictive and the back seat is too low for taller adults on trips, but as a 2nd car it's really great. Big stuff continues to go in the 2013 Model S P85.

@dave999z Your list is exactly what I miss from my ICE hot hatch, with one addition: Traction. Compared to the best AWD systems I notice the Model 3's open diffs on hard corner exits, and I'm guessing I'll really notice them in the snow too. I don't want limited slip diffs in an EV though. When someone comes out with a sporty, compact EV with quad motors I'm there! :cool:
Tesla's ESC/TCS seems to be pretty well tuned. It got annoying getting constant tire hop in the GTI every time I tried to floor it. Even with the not so great Michelin primacy mxm4 tires, the Tesla still accelerates pretty well.

I had a MKV GTI for ten years before I got my 3. Revo stage 2, bunch of suspension mods.
I don't miss that oily FSI engine. I do miss that hatch though, and interior trim that never rattled like my Model 3 does.
Ad0J07Z.jpg
GokDQld.jpeg
Gosh the MkV has aged so nicely! I used to park next to one at my local whole foods regularly.
lxoohwugtj961.jpg

I currently have a 2018 Golf R 6MT, with a Model 3 Perf on order. It's a fantastic car, but we've outgrown it. I will miss it a lot. It's one of the best cars I've owned.

I didn't even consider the VW ID since they are hideous imo. I wanted the Mach E GT Performance for the additional space (and hatch) but the 6-7 month wait is a bit much - and having to work with a Ford dealership...

View attachment 754561View attachment 754562
I had a 5.0 S550 Ford Mustang prior to the GTI and trust me you dont want to deal with Ford or Ford Service. Their QC is even worse than my Tesla.

Reactions: civicdrivr
Best of both worlds; have had Mk 6, then Mk 7.5, which I foisted on my wife after explaining that has all the space and much better safety systems than her 2015 Macan. Love those GTI's and thank goodness got the DSG for the second one so wife now loves it! Can't really be readily compared to my stonking fast 2020 M3P with MPP upgrades, but both are fun in their own ways and, yes, the UI in the GTI is much preferred, tho I think the music system in Tesla beats the Fender in the VW.
The Tesla system is amazing, and I absolutely loved the Fender system in my VW too. The Tesla one isn't as bass-heavy as the Fender.

Just sold my GTI to a VW fan boy and I'm so happy its going to a good home. 145,000 km's and 12 years is a long time but I'm due for a change. Looked LONG and hard at the 2022 Golf R after I already decided to go with the Model 3 Long Range to replace my 2010 Mk6 GTI. Its pretty cool, and way cheaper in Canada vs the M3LR, but I really wanted that EV performance and the tech. Still waiting for my M3. Current window is Sometime in Feb.
My Wife is looking at the Hyundai Ionic 5 2022 or later. Its kinda like a huge hot hatch EV, AND it has Apple CarPlay :)

Damn, loved my GTI... Going to miss the Wolfsburg fit and finish i think
5A867460-8E95-4E30-A078-173DA290FE26.jpg

Me picking it up Feb 2010
IMG_2126.jpeg
Sold late January 2022 with 145k kms
IMG_2124.jpeg

Reactions: jrmt23
Just sold my GTI to a VW fan boy and I'm so happy its going to a good home. 145,000 km's and 12 years is a long time but I'm due for a change. Looked LONG and hard at the 2022 Golf R after I already decided to go with the Model 3 Long Range to replace my 2010 Mk6 GTI. Its pretty cool, and way cheaper in Canada vs the M3LR, but I really wanted that EV performance and the tech. Still waiting for my M3. Current window is Sometime in Feb.
My Wife is looking at the Hyundai Ionic 5 2022 or later. Its kinda like a huge hot hatch EV, AND it has Apple CarPlay :)

Damn, loved my GTI... Going to miss the Wolfsburg fit and finish i think
View attachment 756515
Me picking it up Feb 2010View attachment 756516Sold late January 2022 with 145k kmsView attachment 756517
Mk8 Golf R and GTI is coming from Germany now.

If something were to happen to my Model 3...the Mk8 R would be one of the few combustion cars I'd consider.

Reactions: Blackfish and T4M3
Which do you prefer? I'm very tempted to order a Model 3 but I'm afraid I'll miss my 2018 Golf R.
I definitely love my GTI but the Model 3 is definitely a lot more comfortable. I do like having everything right in front of me though for quick access (light, windshield wipers, heating/cooling switches) compared to the Model 3's basic/minimalistic interior.