Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you own any other brand of EV before getting a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 2024 Tesla Model 3 RWD will be my third EV.

In 2022 I purchased 2022 Mustang Mach-E Select RWD. I did like that it was RWD and had styling cues from the Mustang. Stereo system was not up to par. No heated seats or heated steering wheel as it was base Select model. Sold it for more than I what I paid for it and made a profit.

In 2023 purchased the Mazda MX30 GT EV. Love the HUD display. Much better audio system than the Mach-E. Being GT trim, it had all the features missing from the Mach-E… heated seats, heated steering, Bose audio system, matrix headlights, looks more like a 2 door. Did not like it was much slower than the Mach-E and FWD drive train.

I wanted a Tesla since 2012 but always out of my price range before. Prefer sedan over SUV’s as never been a SUV fan. All my ICE cars or Ford Mustangs or Mazda Miata’s

Dan

Reactions: SmartElectric
Yes, but it was a long time ago.

1710293183881.png

2011 Leaf. Leased new. Replaced by 2014 Leaf. Leased, then purchased. We still have it with over 85,000 miles, no repairs or range loss. 2011 Think City, purchased new in 2012, totalled in 2015 and replaced by an 8,000 mile lease return 2013 Leaf which our son still has with about 75,000 miles, no repairs. 2020 Leaf leased new in 2021, replaced in 2022 by used 2018 Tesla M3 LR RWD.

Last edited:
No EV before this, a 2023 MYP. Never considered one or knew much about them or thought about them much. And then my nephew gave me a quick test drive in his lease M3RWD. That put EV's on the radar for me. About a year ago I turned my Infiniti over 100,000 miles, and my motorcycle was also 10 years old. I decided it was time to replace the Infiniti, and a model Y looked perfect. I only considered Teslas in large part due to the supercharger network, which I've now (mostly) enjoyed on two road trips.

Picked up the MYP in August, haven't driven the Infiiniti or the bike since.

Before getting my MYLR this week I leased a Kia Nero back in 2022. The car itself was pretty good (obviously no Tesla) but I got rid of it because I was so fed up with the state of DC fast charging on EA, Blink, EVgo, etc. I swore I wouldn't own another EV until it was a Tesla. BUT the experience was a great introduction to owning an EV without the significant financial investment in a Tesla, so for that I'm thankful.

Attachments

• images.png
    images.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
Previously, I had owned 4x ICEV (including one run on 100% Biodiesel), now an EREV (Chevy Volt), and a BEV (Model Y).

EREV is definitely good a "training wheels" route to going full EV. Learn how few amps of charging at home you actually need. Learn how temperature, driving style, towing, etc affect battery range. If nothing else, driving an EREV in electric mode most of the time retrains your nose to just how disgusting gasoline stink is!

EREV would still be on my next purchase list for a full sized truck, such as a Ramcharger. Anything smaller than that, not towing, etc, BEV is plenty of utility. Even out here north of 4 corners where EV infrastructure is still way behind most of the rest of the country...

Ordered a Nissan LEAF in 2010, arrived in Feb 2012 as a 2012 model. Battery capacity dived off a cliff, but not fast enough to get a replacement under warranty. Sold in Sep 2023…its range then was about 30 city miles. I still feel somewhat bad that Nissan never leveraged this early-mover advantage and instead kept the LEAF and now the Ariya as niche products with little year-to-year improvements. In the LEAF’s case, it only got a couple of larger batteries and the SL top trim level disappeared.

We bought a low mileage 2013 Focus in early 2020 just to have a second car. It was fun but limited to around town really. I pretty quickly nerded out on regen and really liked the simplicity. Let my kids use it during the first few years of covid since we weren't driving much. When we moved we had solar/EVSE installed and sort of planned to go full EV. Then the battery in the Focus died. It's still sitting on some dealer's lot. Tried to get an Ioniq 5 in early '22 but it was a nightmare. Tesla wasn't even on the radar until I casually priced a Model 3 out one day. I was like "I can order this for $250, no dealer gimmicks, and just go pick it up in a few months?!" My wife was shocked when I said we should just get a Tesla. But both of us love it now.

Our first plugin vehicle was a Prius converted to a PHEV (15 years ago).
Tesla was our first EV, soon followed by a Volt (13 years)

We have owned a Leaf, MINI and various Teslas.

I prefer smaller vehicles, but there is too much I miss about the Teslas, leading me back to a 2024 RWD Model 3.
I am looking forward to seeing what the Model 2 is :)

Reactions: hey kupo
I had a Nissan Leaf for a couple of years before buying my 2021 MY........it was my first EV, and it was terrific. If I hadn't had a life location change that required greater range, I would have kept it, and I recommend it to anyone who rarely uses a car outside of city commutes and errands.

nissan leaf s are excellent low cost around town cars...

Immediately before the 2018 Model 3, we had a 2015 e-Golf on lease. I also bought a 2012 Toyota RAV4 EV new in 2013 that is still my daily driver.
My daughter can get her license in 11 months, so I have about that much time to decide if I will buy a Model Y or some other EV. I haven't even considered owning a gas car since I got rid of the 2001 VW Passat GLX Wagon for the e-Golf.

Slightly different team but I hope it’s okay. We had a Tesla (loved it for the most part and didn’t love it for a few key things) and now we have another EV strictly for local driving. We do no road trips in it - we have a hybrid SUV for that as we don’t think very highly of EVs when it comes to road trips. While the EV we have is a very low selling one, I personally think it’s serving us well and we are quite happy with the decision as it checks all boxes that Tesla didn’t, again, talking strictly about our use case.

Last edited:
I think the oldest OEM made EVs from the late 20th century that you could buy (versus lease only) might be the Ford Ranger EV. From the same era are the original Toyota RAV EVs.

The first EV I owned was a 2002 RAV4-EV, we became a two EV family with a 2011 Nissan LEAF and then replaced the 2002 RAV4-EV with Tesla/Toyota RAV4-EV. In 2018 I was finally able to get a road trip capable EV with a model 3.

Reactions: miimura