Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any problems with stronger TAPTES Trunk/Bootlid Struts (just fitted)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just fitted some stronger (TAPTES supplied) Trunk/Bootlid Struts on my 2020 M3LR

I can't see any comments about these, but has anybody had any problems?
E.G excessive latch wearing or Trunk/Bootlid opening unexpectedly?

I do note one forum member having a broken mounting - anything else?

Last edited:
I've just fitted some stronger (TAPTES supplied) Trunk/Bootlid Struts on my 2020 M3LR

I can't see any comments about these, but has anybody had any problems?
E.G excessive latch wearing or Trunk/Bootlid opening unexpectedly?

I do note one forum member having a broken mounting - anything else?

Is that one forum member you saw, this thread by @SteelClouds ?

Reactions: FairlyOldGit
Is that one forum member you saw, this thread by @SteelClouds ?

Yup thats the one - he does mention that the struts were purchased from s3xymodels, so I'm hoping that the TAPTES ones are different and better - I will however be keeping an eye on the moulded ends!

Nope. So far as I can tell almost all of the spring struts come from the same source in China. Pretty common with accessories. Just eyeballing the ends I don’t think will help. The cracked one didn’t show until I hit it pressure to get it off after it’s brother self destructed

Nope. So far as I can tell almost all of the spring struts come from the same source in China. Pretty common with accessories. Just eyeballing the ends I don’t think will help. The cracked one didn’t show until I hit it pressure to get it off after it’s brother self destructed
I know it is not much good to you, but yours do seem to be the only ones to have failed so far - unless others have had problems and are keeping quiet about it.
You mention them failing at five months, were there any other conditions that might have triggered the failure - like for example cold weather making the plastic brittle?

There have been other failures although not as catastrophic as mine. I really think the root cause was pandemic supply chain issues. The plastic seemed “soft” compared to the OEM struts. And they always had been stiffer on the lowering to shut them. What I do know is the seller would not back them up or even answer my mails/calls after I explained what had happened. As far as weather, SoCal doesn’t have “weather” ;). It was just another tequila sunrise when it blew apart.

Reactions: FairlyOldGit