Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any PUP owners removing their Spoilers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just took off my stock CF spoiler that came on my MY PUP. The fitment wasn't quite right and to be honest I can't blame Tesla 100% for this. I did have PPF installed all over the car and the shop did their best to fit it on right, but as many know these Tesla spoilers aren't the best fit even from the factory. Originally I bought more tape and planned on trying myself to stick it back on.. but after seeing it off now, I really like the clean lines of the rear hatch on the MY, it actually has a pretty aggressive lip on it as is. I am really leaning towards leaving it off now, it just looks so clean :) Curious what others thought?

So I just took off my stock CF spoiler that came on my MY PUP. The fitment wasn't quite right and to be honest I can't blame Tesla 100% for this. I did have PPF installed all over the car and the shop did their best to fit it on right, but as many know these Tesla spoilers aren't the best fit even from the factory. Originally I bought more tape and planned on trying myself to stick it back on.. but after seeing it off now, I really like the clean lines of the rear hatch on the MY, it actually has a pretty aggressive lip on it as is. I am really leaning towards leaving it off now, it just looks so clean :) Curious what others thought?

Are you interested in selling it?

I’m not removing mine, but its popping off on its own :( Heading to SC today for that and a few other issues..

From what I can tell it doesn't curve in quite enough towards the ends, maybe newer ones will be tweaked... Mine really isn't bad honestly though, at least it wasn't when I got it.. just think the PPF installer didn't get it on right.

I'm in the process of trying to get all the old tape off, what a pain!

Well after some internal debate, I decide to put the spoiler back on... I think it looks great without it, but I figured I have it, if it helps range at all, its worth putting on.

That said, I made sure I put it on right. After two attempts by the shop that installed my PPF, they couldn't quite get it on right, always was sticking out some on one side or the other. I decided I'd get the spoiler itself as clean as possible, removed every speck of tape that was on it before. I highly recommend anyone doing something like this get the 3M Stripe Off Wheel 07498 and 3M Adhesive Remover Spray. The wheel really does an amazing job at getting the tape off, then the spray just made sure their was nothing left. After all that was done and clean I got some 3M Scotch 5952 VHB Tape 1" thickness and 3M 4298 Adhesion Promoter. I put the tape on on the left side, then the right side of the spoiler, made it easier to manage splinting it in half that way. Also I kept the tape from getting too close to the edges, if you take it off you will see little lips on the outside edges, avoid putting tape there! I then used a razer blade to trim the excess off, again making sure the lips didn't have tape on them.

As for installing the spoiler, I found the exact center and put a piece of blue tape with the edge of tape right at the center line both on the spoiler and the car, this way when I went to put it on, I knew exactly where center was every single time. Putting tape on the left and right sides doesn't matter if you know center (I did measure the left and right sides just to make sure though). This made lining it up for install SUPER easy. When you go to install it, you don't put it on the top, you slide it from the back towards the front. I found due to the shape of the spoiler it wasn't quite concave enough (why it pops off on one side or the other so much, even from the factory), so when I put it on I put it on almost perfectly straight but favored the left side first, pushing that side down and taping it with painters tape, then going right and pushing it down and taping it as I went to hold it, eventually getting to the far right side. Overall the process of installing it wasn't bad, you just need to plan it properly and do a lot of practice (with the tape not uncovered yet) runs so you know exactly how it will act as you put it on. The Adhesion Promoter I got is based of some recommendations I read online btw, you put that down first and let it dry. Apparently its supposed to make the tape almost like glue when they come in contact. Fingers crossed it holds up and the tape doesn't start peeling off, but as of right now, its better then the day I picked it up at the dealer.

Pics post install below.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200614_224000.jpg
    MVIMG_20200614_224000.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 209
  • MVIMG_20200614_223845.jpg
    MVIMG_20200614_223845.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 153
  • MVIMG_20200614_223837.jpg
    MVIMG_20200614_223837.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 150
  • MVIMG_20200614_223820.jpg
    MVIMG_20200614_223820.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 154
My spoiler was coming off so the local shop ordered a new one..the interesting thing is the spoiler came up as a model 3 spoiler description on the part in the Y catalog of parts..

Are they the same? Maybe thats why they dont fit great as they are not Y specific and the 3 is a little different shape???

My spoiler was coming off so the local shop ordered a new one..the interesting thing is the spoiler came up as a model 3 spoiler description on the part in the Y catalog of parts..

Are they the same? Maybe thats why they dont fit great as they are not Y specific and the 3 is a little different shape???

Pretty sure they aren't the same part otherwise all the aftermarket people would be selling the Model 3 ones as Model Y spoilers now.

Can you tell if it is real carbon fiber or just plastic lookalike?

How did you remove it?

How did you remove it? My wife wants hers off.