Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any ZOE 2, LEAF 2, BMW i3 2 speculation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Amid the M3 storm I'd like to hear your speculations about the other popular EVs that are about to most likely get into Version 2 mode in 2017.

What do you think LEAF 2, ZOE 2, i3 2 ver. 2 batteries/range will be?

What do you specifically expect to see:

• A totally new/redesigned car
  • A facelift and double range
  • Some autonomous functions
Bolt is already more or less known to us so the above 3 and some others are what we know little about ver. 2s now so let's get into some details.

For the 2017 BMW i3, it's been confirmed it will have 50% more range. There's also some speculation it will have a 16A three-phase charger (11 kW) in Europe, a new colour and some other minor stuff.

The range is the most important element, it should go from 81 EPA miles (130 km) to around 120 EPA miles (192 km).

• Informative
Reactions: mumojem
I only follow the US market, so I'm afraid I don't know much about the Zoe.

I agree with Yggdrasill that the 2017 i3 BEV will very likely have about 120 EPA miles - that's all that really fits for now unless you go with some ridiculously priced cells, and people that don't think that's enough can get a REX. There have been hints of a (I suspect very small) makeover too, but BMW tries not to say too much to avoid Osborning their current sales. The 2017 i3 should (?) be available in the US around July. I hope they will keep selling the current battery at a significantly lower price, but that's just speculation.

Nissan, like BMW, is largely trying to stay quiet because they want to keep selling what they have. But at investor meetings and such they have answered some questions. Initially they said the car would have around 186 miles of range (300km, and enough to get a 4th credit for "200 miles" on CARB's more-generous-than-EPA scale), but they may have revised that a bit internally after the Bolt and T3 announcements if it's not too late to change it. They have also said that they want to make it "look a lot more mainstream" so they can sell more. They've been showing off their IDS show car for a while; they've not explicitly said the 2nd-gen LEAF will be like that, but it does have a big battery, high levels of drivers assist, and it looks a whole lot nicer than the current LEAF. The production car's looks will probably be toned down and I doubt THAT much driving tech will be in it, but I'd guess it's intended as a strong hint as to what we will get. I would bet that Nissan WANTS to release the 2nd-gen LEAF just before the Bolt arrives (December, in ZEV states?), but from what very little I've heard I don't think that will happen. They may just settle for beating the Tesla 3 to market; it might be a 2018 model (though I imagine it will be available in 2017).

(GM, unlike BMW and Nissan, has been making a lot of fanfare about future models because they already had enough credits from the Spark and 1st-gen Volt that they didn't need to sell more of those very low-margin cars; they thought the brand image from being first to talk about next-gen cars would be a bigger boost for them).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: gene and doug
For the 2017 BMW i3, it's been confirmed it will have 50% more range. There's also some speculation it will have a 16A three-phase charger (11 kW) in Europe, a new colour and some other minor stuff.

The range is the most important element, it should go from 81 EPA miles (130 km) to around 120 EPA miles (192 km).

Hm, haven't heard of 16A 3-phase 11 kW in Europe so this is new to me. All other details have been confirmed as you say, but the charging power upgrade sounds good and right providing the current 7.4 kW charger is slow and there's no 3-phase option available.

Nissan, like BMW, is largely trying to stay quiet because they want to keep selling what they have.

(GM, unlike BMW and Nissan, has been making a lot of fanfare about future models because they already had enough credits from the Spark and 1st-gen Volt that they didn't need to sell more of those very low-margin cars; they thought the brand image from being first to talk about next-gen cars would be a bigger boost for them).

Right, that's why I am looking for feedback and some speculations, becuase they are all so quiet as they should be in trying to sell as much as what they can of current stock/models.

By the way how do I edit the title thread to fix the annoying typo?

I don't think you can edit the thread title. But you can click on "REPORT" below your first post, and ask a moderator to do it.

Once the new LEAF, Bolt and Model 3 are all available...I am still not sure which one I will get. My wife has a roomy Model S with Supercharging, so my car (replacing a Roadster) doesn't have to do much. It just has to be a BEV with at least 150 miles of range so I can make weekly trips to help my parents. I'm excited that I will finally have choices! (Too bad the i3 will not have quite enough range; otherwise I would be very interested in that).