Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone buying the new 2020 Corvette C8 before the Roadster 2020?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the 2020 Roadster will probably be delayed would you want to buy the 2020 Corvette C8 in the mean time? I know it is an ICE car but I think it has good value and probably fun to drive. This is one way to bridge the gap before you get the Roadster 2020.

It also is not too hard on your wallet.

The only problem is....it will be hard to get since the waiting line is probably pretty long.

Are you kidding? When I got my first Roadster a guy in a brand new yellow Corvette pulled in next to me at Whole Foods and offered to trade cars on the spot.

Since the 2020 Roadster will probably be delayed would you want to buy the 2020 Corvette C8 in the mean time? I know it is an ICE car but I think it has good value and probably fun to drive. This is one way to bridge the gap before you get the Roadster 2020.

It also is not too hard on your wallet.

The only problem is....it will be hard to get since the waiting line is probably pretty long.

Reactions: SO16 and wenkan
Got to admit, I've thought about shopping for something to fill the void for the next couple of years. Can't say that I find the C8 particularly interesting, though. Well, they're billing it as an affordable mid-engine supercar. I already had a Lotus Esprit V8 a few years back, so I kind of feel like I've been there, done that.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I've got a confession. . . I am being strongly tempted away from the Roadster by another car, and maybe not just as a temporary stopgap.

I'm talking about the Model S. They just keep making it better. I mean: more refinement, rough edges smoothed out, upgraded specs and features. It has a track record. It's a known quantity. It's available right now. And the cost is much less, of course.

Yeah, different categories of cars. There are pluses and minuses. But. . . I've gone through a series of real sports cars. Maybe I've gotten a little too fixated on that. There was a time when I had full-sized sedans and liked them Just Fine.

I've got a confession. . . I am being strongly tempted away from the Roadster by another car, and maybe not just as a temporary stopgap.

I'm talking about the Model S. They just keep making it better. I mean: more refinement, rough edges smoothed out, upgraded specs and features. It has a track record. It's a known quantity. It's available right now. And the cost is much less, of course.

Yeah, different categories of cars. There are pluses and minuses. But. . . I've gone through a series of real sports cars. Maybe I've gotten a little too fixated on that. There was a time when I had full-sized sedans and liked them Just Fine.

Same here. I'm a Roadster reservation holder but I'm starting to think the Plaid S could be a good alternative. Sounds like it will be a fun car to drive not to mention a more practical daily driver. Roadster likely will be fine for that but it's still a little too flashy to take to certain places.

Reactions: linkster and wenkan
Getting the Taycan as a stop gap. :)

The Taycan isn't ugly, by any means, but it isn't great looking either (imho). The roadster on the other hand is just 'wow' looking. I've owned dozens of expensive cars over the years, I cannot recall ever being this excited about a vehicle like I am the Roadster. Perhaps a close second was when my 2013 MS was ordered. If Tesla does a refresh on the Plaid S that I find compelling, I may get one of those to hold me over.

Having said all that, I hope you'll report back on how you are finding the Taycan once you receive yours. Hope you end up loving it.

Cheers

The C8 Corvette looks amazing and has some pretty serious performance numbers.
Now aside from it being an ICE, and that is a downside, the performance and pricing is defintitely on the plus side. Price-wise the challenge with "allocation spots" at the dealership will be market priciing premiums tacked on to the MSRP. I don't like how the Corvette or some of the other sports cars only offer an automatic or DSG, No manual tranny. Convertible looks great as well as the regular hard top C8.

Reactions: EXOTIC1 and byeLT4
I suspect it’s gonna be Roadster 2024 by the time it’s out.

True that! I had such a good ol' belly laugh at this thread title.

I talked to a Roadster owner a month ago, and he has been waiting patiently for 2 years now on the stinkin'
battery upgrade option. And now with J.B. getting out of dodge, who knows what projects will get lost/indefinitely delayed in the constant executive suite churning/ousting shuffle.
Sad.

Watching how electrification & batteries change transport for the next 5 years will be/is interesting.

cars/SUV/trucks
SEMI, ships
planes
tunnels, hyperloops

solar and wind - will you or the electric utilities win?
[We called them electric utilities when the government ran them for the public - privatised they are now Wall street corporate power companies?]

Will oil wars pass into history? Will sustainability become a thing? Will Rockets replace some long distant airline routes?

Interesting times.

Last edited: