Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to buy, longtime sustainable/renewable energy enthusiast.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm buying a Tesla 3 SR+ (made in 2020, but that has little bearing on the specs), driving about 8 hours round trip to pick it up Feb 2nd. A few years ago I bought a 2015 Leaf from the Montreal, QC area, that took about 18 hours round trip travel due to the limited range. Last year I gave up on Nissan which makes no economical or competitive EVs and got a Mazda 3 while waiting for the Tesla 2. I could have my car delivered to me, it would just cost a bit more. Hopefully weather is decent, as Teslas don't come with winter tires and the area tends to have freezing rain.

Tesla doesn't finance anyone in my province, NB Canada. Apparently there are a number of US states the are the same. I assume it has to do with lacking service centres, they don't want to oversaturate the market and suffer from poor satisfaction or customer retention. I live in Fredericton. Now that I live in a house that has access to outlets, can afford a decent range, and with another year to wait for the model 2 rollout (who knows how long the waitlist will be), I used an online-based car website with a distributor in the Halifax area. I managed to get an 8 year loan, but saved a bunch by declining the gap insurance. I should only be underwater for a year, despite the low mileage with months of Tesla warranty remaining. They are quite a number of teslas in the city, and I'm 10 minutes from a bank of superchargers.

I have a business management degree, and am working in home healthcare. It takes no sense to buy vehicles from someone who relies mainly on the planned deficiency or obsolescence of their offering. Tesla actually supports their product with remote software updates, a good charger network, constant improvement without requiring an annual model and many have been around for a million miles. Most of the upgrades are passed on to all the existing fleet the same model, regardless of production date. It's a total paradigm shift. I could have bought an S cheaper, but doubt it would save me money due to more rare and expensive parts replacement. I see no reason to keep making the S or X, now the Y and CT are out. Waste of manufacturing space and time/energy making software updates specific to low numbers of vehicles. They should plan to stop making updates on them in 2-3 years and encourage migration with discounts to current drivers on models that remain a going concern. High volume production lowers prices. Hyundai was another cheaper option, as CCs will have adapters to NACS and one a the few manufacturers making enough EVs to survive the coming market transition to ICE maker bankruptcy/death. However, legacy auto is still dealer/local repair based. By 2028 most new purchased vehicles will be full EV, and about 80% by 2030. By 2035 all but a few niche use new vehicles will be Evs, including transport trucks, buses, and trains. Short distance watercraft will take a bit longer, and long distance shipping and aircraft may take until about 2050.But the die is cast, and there is no reasonable alternative to a fully electric-energy based society.

Have already seen a lot of useful threads here, glad to join. Sorry/not sorry about ruffling feathers by advocating the phaseout of your vehicles and predicting major recession/ job loss.

I'm buying a Tesla 3 SR+ (made in 2020, but that has little bearing on the specs), driving about 8 hours round trip to pick it up Feb 2nd. A few years ago I bought a 2015 Leaf from the Montreal, QC area, that took about 18 hours round trip travel due to the limited range. Last year I gave up on Nissan which makes no economical or competitive EVs and got a Mazda 3 while waiting for the Tesla 2. I could have my car delivered to me, it would just cost a bit more. Hopefully weather is decent, as Teslas don't come with winter tires and the area tends to have freezing rain.

Tesla doesn't finance anyone in my province, NB Canada. Apparently there are a number of US states the are the same. I assume it has to do with lacking service centres, they don't want to oversaturate the market and suffer from poor satisfaction or customer retention. I live in Fredericton. Now that I live in a house that has access to outlets, can afford a decent range, and with another year to wait for the model 2 rollout (who knows how long the waitlist will be), I used an online-based car website with a distributor in the Halifax area. I managed to get an 8 year loan, but saved a bunch by declining the gap insurance. I should only be underwater for a year, despite the low mileage with months of Tesla warranty remaining. They are quite a number of teslas in the city, and I'm 10 minutes from a bank of superchargers.

I have a business management degree, and am working in home healthcare. It takes no sense to buy vehicles from someone who relies mainly on the planned deficiency or obsolescence of their offering. Tesla actually supports their product with remote software updates, a good charger network, constant improvement without requiring an annual model and many have been around for a million miles. Most of the upgrades are passed on to all the existing fleet the same model, regardless of production date. It's a total paradigm shift. I could have bought an S cheaper, but doubt it would save me money due to more rare and expensive parts replacement. I see no reason to keep making the S or X, now the Y and CT are out. Waste of manufacturing space and time/energy making software updates specific to low numbers of vehicles. They should plan to stop making updates on them in 2-3 years and encourage migration with discounts to current drivers on models that remain a going concern. High volume production lowers prices. Hyundai was another cheaper option, as CCs will have adapters to NACS and one a the few manufacturers making enough EVs to survive the coming market transition to ICE maker bankruptcy/death. However, legacy auto is still dealer/local repair based. By 2028 most new purchased vehicles will be full EV, and about 80% by 2030. By 2035 all but a few niche use new vehicles will be Evs, including transport trucks, buses, and trains. Short distance watercraft will take a bit longer, and long distance shipping and aircraft may take until about 2050.But the die is cast, and there is no reasonable alternative to a fully electric-energy based society.

Have already seen a lot of useful threads here, glad to join. Sorry/not sorry about ruffling feathers by advocating the phaseout of your vehicles and predicting major recession/ job loss.
You do realize that Tesla used to be the leader in EV range in North America, don't you? That leadership came with Model S but no longer.

You do realize that Tesla used to be the leader in EV range in North America, don't you? That leadership came with Model S but no longer.
I never implied otherwise. As I said, I can afford decent range now. Maybe wasn't explicit that I could not afford it before, not even a Leaf plus or Kia Soul EV. Bought that 2015 Leaf in 2021 for about 10K CAD. The going rate for used 3s is now over 30K CAD.