Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have this issue, square mark when fog, wondering if its something from manufacturing side effect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is Model 3 2018 Sep, I I have noticed this on first few months, but never bothered to find out, but wondering now if anyone have this scenario.

When the winsheild is fogged, I see many square marks appear on the winsheild, wondering if its just me or anyone else faced this.

Most times I have the heat running and all is well, but there are some days where I have less energy to reach a point, I turn of heat to save and I do notice this.

Thanks.
1669654592820.png

In person the squares are even clear visible, it was hard to capture from camera.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Those look like the original suction cup installation marks from when the windshield was originally installed to the vehicle. There are a few different threads here about "scummy" stuff on tesla windshield glass.

Perhaps it could be polished out, but I am not an expert by any means on that, I have just read some threads here about people doing that. I also have zero idea what a tesla service center would say about it, but perhaps you could ask them about it with your pictures. They definitely do not look like "customer created" marks to me.

Perhaps if you tell them they impact your ability to drive in bad weather, because they are in your line of sight or something, they may cover it? I dont know, though. Thats what I would do, and if they said no, I would then try to find a detailer to polish it or attempt polishing it myself, then if that didnt work, I would probably pay to replace it.

Thats what I would do, anyway.

Reactions: Grabthar
Correct. These assembly-line installation marks are present on most Model 3s/YS since lowest production VINs.

Eliminating them is nearly impossible, but their appearance can be greatly reduced with common winshield interior cleaning procedures (e-cloths, magic erasers, claybar or claymits, isopropyl alcohol, various glass strippers, etc). Careful not to damage the dash whe. using these.

Tesla windshields (given their size and shape) are some of the worst to get and keep clean. Smudges, haze galore, not to mention pitting, chipping, rock magnet nature of these low Cd cars.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Mine is Model 3 2018 Sep, I I have noticed this on first few months, but never bothered to find out, but wondering now if anyone have this scenario.

When the winsheild is fogged, I see many square marks appear on the winsheild, wondering if its just me or anyone else faced this.

Most times I have the heat running and all is well, but there are some days where I have less energy to reach a point, I turn of heat to save and I do notice this.

Thanks.
View attachment 879098

In person the squares are even clear visible, it was hard to capture from camera.

I learned about "McKee's 37 MK37-640 20/20 Cockpit Glass Cleaner" on some TMC thread. You can probably find it with search. Anyway, the stuff is stupid expensive but for me it worked when nothing else did. It cleaned up marks like these as well as what I assume was outgassing grime on the inside of my windshield. Very easy to use. Wipe on. Wait a minute. Wipe off. YMMV.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC