Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone installed back seat TVs (DVD) in Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Originally Posted in UK Owners Club but think I might get more response here :)

I haven't got my Model 3 yet but have been reading through threads on here and other forums about things owners advise getting/upgrading. What I haven't been able to find, however, is any information on rear seat entertainment.

I have a TV screens in the back of my current car for my 3 kids to watch on long journeys (its the only way I've found they won't kill each other :D) and was hoping to transfer them to my M3. The problem is that the screens mount on the stanchions and the M3 doesn't have these exposed. So I wondered if anyone had managed to find a way around this?

I have seen a video (I think it was on here actually) of someone removing the headrests to change the angle. I noted that it may be possible to lit the headrests enough to get the stanchion mount in place but I also noted that the struts hold the seat back in place so I don't know if this will work.

Any ideas gratefully received

PS - I don't really have the wedge to buy 3 ipads!!

Amazon fire kindles :) cheap at £50 each, and if you get the kids rubber case it becomes a flying object (some say deadly) that just bounces of your head, i know from experience!

I have 2 and great for YouTube and a few games (Add an SD card for added movies etc) - Cables are 2m long if i remember so work great in the car.

There are several stages to shopping for mounts for phones, iPads, rear headrest stuff and the like.

1. The first way is to look at Brodit, and immediately decide their mounts are stupidly expensive and look like something for a taxi meter.
  2. Search eBay and Amazon for weeks. Read reviews from people who are happy with cheap tatt
  3. Buy something from eBay and discover it's trashy and floppy and rubbish
  4. Repeat no.3 a dozen times until your car is covered in marks and screw holes or your footwell is full of stuff that wouldn't stick on the dash or the back of your seats
  5. Go back to the Brodit site, buy the bracket specific to your car and the corresponding holder for your device and pay lots of money which is still only half of what you wasted on eBay for the 12 crap ones

Headrest mount 811102 | Brodit

E
    DIT: the slightly cocky nature of my post is undermined by the fact that the link isn't actually to a product specific to Model 3, somewhat undermining my victory salute. However, because Brodit will probs tell you what you actually need I'll leave it there to remind me to be less swaggering when I type ;-)

Last edited:
OK so... I've come up with a solution based on that provided @davidmc, so am posting here, just in case it helps anyone else :D

I wanted something dead simple to set up, without having masses of wires and bulky hardware (everything will easily fit in the storage bins in the centre console), and that a child can use.

This should work on any mobile device running Android or iOS and requires the following:
  • An External Hard Drive with USB connection (best if it can use the USB as its power source too)
    - recommend Samsung T5, either 500GB or 1TB (the 1TB is on offer at the moment so I got one)
  • RAVPower Filehub
  • Mobile device running Android or iOS
The Filehub has a few features but the ones I was interested in are:
  • Allows mobile devices to review and run files stored on an external hard drive wirelessly
  • Can provide internet access to devices connected to it
  • Its really small
All you have to do is add your media files to your USB hard drive and connect it to the Filehub, open the Filehub app on your mobile device and use that to connect to the Filehub's WiFi network. Once connected, the app shows the hard drive and allows you to, really simply, navigate through the folders and run the files stored on it - dead simple for younger children (mine are 9 and 10).

You can connect up to 5 devices simultaneously and each device can review files independently of each other.

You can also use the Filehub in Bridge mode, which means it connects to an existing WiFi network (mobile hotspot) so any devices connected to it have Internet access too!

As the kids don't have an iPad each, I'll be getting them Kindle Fire 7 tablets* (@ £49 each, or less if Amazon Black Friday them :p) so they'll be able to play games, read books or watch any of the films/programmes I add to the hard drive completely independent of each other and lessens the chance that they'll chew up all my data watching YouTube and/or Netflix/Prime Video.

*I'll be side-loading Google Play (tutorials on YouTube of how to do this) so we can get the apps we need and the kids will have more choice on 'main stream' games.

• Informative
Reactions: Daverh