Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone know what this plug is?...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my door panel replaced on my Model S Refresh and they broke the top wood trim piece. Check out this weird plug! Anyone know what its for?

Attachments

• 20211105_142621.jpg
    20211105_142621.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 20211105_142632.jpg
    20211105_142632.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 60
That may be the connector for the trim piece that has ‘premium‘ ambient lighting capability.

The original feature list for the model S talked about “ambient lighting all around” or words similar to that, but references to ambient lighting were removed closer to the release of the car. Renders of the interior still contain a light effect across the aluminium strip.

I guess they removed the lit trim due to supplier issues or quality issues in the trim pieces. Removing the loom for those connectors would cost too much or they may have a plan to introduce ambient lighting once they have perfected the design or resolved supply.

I for one hope they do introduce it in later production models. It adds to the ‘ambience’ of the cabin.

Reactions: webshot
That may be the connector for the trim piece that has ‘premium‘ ambient lighting capability.

The original feature list for the model S talked about “ambient lighting all around” or words similar to that, but references to ambient lighting were removed closer to the release of the car. Renders of the interior still contain a light effect across the aluminium strip.

I guess they removed the lit trim due to supplier issues or quality issues in the trim pieces. Removing the loom for those connectors would cost too much or they may have a plan to introduce ambient lighting once they have perfected the design or resolved supply.

I for one hope they do introduce it in later production models. It adds to the ‘ambience’ of the cabin.
Thanks for your response. I think the aftermarket has an opportunity here, assuming the plug works and is active.