Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

anyone recently purchased used Tesla from Tesla website? How was your experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a '17 P100D w/ 17,xxx miles from tesla.com about 6 months ago, when the MS w/ Ludicrous were hard to find. Now, that the Plaid has shipped they are easy to find. Everything went really well. The car looked almost brand new. I did have a slight door ding and scuff on the bumper. You would have to really look for both blemishes. I am super happy with the car.

The purchasing process, including securing a loan for the car was incredibly easy.
Good Luck! FYI, Tesla.com seems to list new inventory on the site late at night (12 AM).

I bought a Tesla MS 2 weeks ago (used) on the tesla site, since then It's been radio silence & no updates! Rang multiple times requesting an update & keep getting told to call back in a couple of days. Current update is call back Monday, otherwise if not then call back Tuesday maybe we'll have something for you. The saga continues...

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and vegasko
Use the search function. Lots of horror stories going back the last several years. Plan on waiting a month from when you put down a deposit w/o hearing from anyone or being able to talk to anyone for updates before you take delivery and your expectations might be properly met once the dust settles. When the car arrives, examine it for all of the common failures/issues and do not, I repeat, do NOT take any promises to repair that aren't in writing. Ever. Get everything in writing from Tesla because they WILL screw you over if you don't.

Im going to purchase used Tesla MS soon, any feedback on how is the entire process?
Used MS are cheaper now then few months ago as i can see
I just finished purchasing a 2018 MS P100DL from tesla with 44,xxx mi. The car happened to be local to me, so order to pickup was only a week. It was unnerving not being able to see photos of the car or do a test drive. The car was in immaculate condition at pickup. Zero problems with the interior, the white seats looked factory new, no marks anywhere inside. I even had to remove the factory plastic from the sunshade mirrors. The outside was the same, flawless. I found later in the door jam a sticker from a company that apparently did a ceramic coating and PPF on all forward facing surfaces. Mechanically the car is solid. I have only put 600mi on it since purchase, but so far so good. It seems to have around 12% battery degradation which seems a little high, but it has more than enough range for my typical use. After reading a lot of posts here, it appears I was pretty lucky that the car was taken care of so well.

I bought a Tesla MS 2 weeks ago (used) on the tesla site, since then It's been radio silence & no updates! Rang multiple times requesting an update & keep getting told to call back in a couple of days. Current update is call back Monday, otherwise if not then call back Tuesday maybe we'll have something for you. The saga continues...
Current update, still waiting & still no information being given! I've pretty much rang everyday & been told they can't tell me anything but wait another day & call back. Have sent an email of complaint (only complaining about the timeframe they gave & the radio silence) but doubt I'll hear anything back from this.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Okay, new update! Had an email from an advisor who said Tesla were going back & forth with the service team. The car has had to go in for a full respray as they weren't 100% happy with the condition of the paint. They said the car will only be back mid next week so earliest collection date would be 18th/19th providing there's no other issues (fingers crossed) They have said they will try compensate me in some way, although has anybody ever been compensated by them as I don't know what they would be able to provide (money off, free supercharging or just some freebies)

Reactions: vegasko
Seems amazing to me that they didn't decide whether it needed a respray before they decided how much to price it for on the web site. Or is it possible the car is currently in use as a loan car and they're just cycling stock and don't bother assessing the car until it's sold?

At the moment the used vehicle warranty link on the web site is broken (404). The used vehicle process seems amazingly slapdash, hopefully the after sales support is much better. Good luck with your purchase.

Bought used from Tesla May of 2020. Car had to be shipped from Cali to Texas. IIRC took exactly a month although the car was shipped very quickly. Much of my time spent waiting was the courtesy upgrade from AP2.5 to AP3 self driving computer. At the time I just wanted the car LOL! I remember after receiving the deposit email that I had 48 hours to secure financing or the car would be released. Once financing was approved I needed to get insurance on the car before they could ship? Thought that was strange as well, but, in the end everything worked out. I have heard that some of the process I went through was because buying a Tesla in Texas is... just different. Good luck!!!

Seems amazing to me that they didn't decide whether it needed a respray before they decided how much to price it for on the web site. Or is it possible the car is currently in use as a loan car and they're just cycling stock and don't bother assessing the car until it's sold?

At the moment the used vehicle warranty link on the web site is broken (404). The used vehicle process seems amazingly slapdash, hopefully the after sales support is much better. Good luck with your purchase.

Thank you! Strange how the link is broken, what's even more strange is I've just had a read on the Parts, Body and Paint Repair Limited Warranty section & it states 'Limited Warranty applies to repairs that are not provided under goodwill or not otherwise performed by Tesla free of charge,' which from my understanding means If I take the car & don't initially pick up on any faults in terms of the respray/overspray I don't have any warranty whatsoever as they're doing this because the service team aren't happy with the current condition of the paintwork. When I asked over the phone before purchasing, they did say 1 owner but as to whether or not that owner is them or somebody else I'll only be able to find out later when I get my hands on the paperwork.

In my opinion a full body respray seems excessive, if there were chips on the front due to motorway driving, why respray the entire car? I've asked these questions & will hopefully hear back with a more detailed explanation. Also, I did ask before purchasing, they did say the only cars they actually resell as used cars on their site have been looked after & not driven badly. They said when the cars are returned to them they're plugged in & can see these things. Whether or not this is true is pretty much anyone's guess. I do hope they give me an upgrade on car than fob me off with supercharging! (I generally tend to do local mileage & not drive out of town much)

I'm watching a Raven LR on the Tesla website that's local to me, in case the price drops. So far it's gone up from when I first saw it - and it was expensive in the first place. That plus the 4% interest rate, when I can borrow at 2.65% elsewhere, is what's putting me off.

OTOH there's an extra year's warranty, and you don't have to roll the dice on whether the FSD will suddenly disappear a few months down the track ...

yeah additional 1 year warranty is huge plus, im thinking of purchasing x-care too but not sure when i can do it, before original 4 yr warranty expire or after additional 1 year tesla used warranty.
Im going to inspect my car very carefully, inside and out.

Tesla used inventory in the UK currently has only 1 old shape nose cone car and 19 newer shape cars. Is this because the old shape cars are less reliable and Tesla aren't as keen to part ex them as loan cars or sell them on with warranties they have to support? By contrast Autotrader seems to have plenty of old shape cars under 100K miles. There seems to be a floor price of around 30k for the oldest cars without huge mileage even though some are soon going out of battery warranty.

At least all used cars sold by Teslas seem to get bumped up to enhanced autopilot (if they have hardware that can support it). Not sure how much of an upgrade that is for the existing Model S autopilot.

Also, I did ask before purchasing, they did say the only cars they actually resell as used cars on their site have been looked after & not driven badly. They said when the cars are returned to them they're plugged in & can see these things. Whether or not this is true is pretty much anyone's guess
I'm seeing quite a few used Teslas that have all been photographed in the same building being sold by different car dealers. Is this building Tesla UK HQ and these are cars they've chosen to sell on to other dealers rather than sell themselves - in which case are the cars Tesla rejects? Or is it the premises of a big car leasing company?

e.g. the photos in this link

At least all used cars sold by Teslas seem to get bumped up to enhanced autopilot (if they have hardware that can support it). Not sure how much of an upgrade that is for the existing Model S autopilot.
I wish they would do that here. I don't really want FSD, but I don't want to lose the lane change function of my trusty old AP1. EAP would be perfect.

i received my MS 2018 last week, car is perfect. Only downside were old tires, in very bad condition, had to purchase new ones from DT. $1200
Tesla said tires passed their hazard testing but guys at DT said they are safety risk

Reactions: Nujec
i received my MS 2018 last week, car is perfect. Only downside were old tires, in very bad condition, had to purchase new ones from DT. $1200
Tesla said tires passed their hazard testing but guys at DT said they are safety risk
Congratulations, enjoy!

Does that come with the more modern MCU2 with theatre, arcade etc?

Tyre (or tire) shops will recommend changing tyres well before they hit legal minimums. Michelin actually issued a statement recently saying their tyres work fine right down to the legal minimum and it's very wasteful to change them before they hit this point.

We may get a Model S used from Tesla. The security of a year's warranty is hard to beat. Presumably the Tesla web site doesn't specify whether cars have had upgrades like MCU2 and CCS adaptor.

Congratulations, enjoy!

Does that come with the more modern MCU2 with theatre, arcade etc?

Tyre (or tire) shops will recommend changing tyres well before they hit legal minimums. Michelin actually issued a statement recently saying their tyres work fine right down to the legal minimum and it's very wasteful to change them before they hit this point.

We may get a Model S used from Tesla. The security of a year's warranty is hard to beat. Presumably the Tesla web site doesn't specify whether cars have had upgrades like MCU2 and CCS adaptor.
I found looking the vehicle up by VIN on tesla-info.com really helpful. It will tell you quite a bit about the car, including the MCU type.

Reactions: Nujec