Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tried this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would you use an FM adapter to get SiriusXM when you can stream it via Bluetooth and the XM app on your phone?

Well the reason to have an actual antenna and not use an app is because LTE isn’t available or reliable in all areas. I live in the mountains and cell service is spotty at best.

As for why use FM instead of Bluetooth... maybe you shouldn’t. I found a little USB dongle on Amazon for $13 that can convert line in to a BT signal. Seems like that would be a much simpler solution for getting the XM output to the Tesla speakers. I don't think the XM quality is high enough that you'd really notice any sprt of quality difference.

Well the reason to have an actual antenna and not use an app is because LTE isn’t available or reliable in all areas. I live in the mountains and cell service is spotty at best.

Unless you just really like the live content on XM, you'd probably be better served by picking up one of the many music streaming services available, and having your phone cache a playlist of music for your trip. Then you don't need cellular OR satellite reception, you have better quality audio, and effectively limitless music choice.

Unless you just really like the live content on XM, you'd probably be better served by picking up one of the many music streaming services available, and having your phone cache a playlist of music for your trip. Then you don't need cellular OR satellite reception, you have better quality audio, and effectively limitless music choice.
as someone who has had XM for the last 12+ years... i get it. satellite radio feed is just a nice consistent and reliable source. you won't get tired of a dumb playlist and not having to rely on internet connectivity is a blessing in remote areas.

with that said, i was happy to get out from under the monopoly. they suggested a portable unit when i canceled and told them straight no. I think the DJ selection is great and there are a ton of great channels. that being said, it can be just as repetitive as any other radio station.

as someone who has had XM for the last 12+ years... i get it. satellite radio feed is just a nice consistent and reliable source. you won't get tired of a dumb playlist and not having to rely on internet connectivity is a blessing in remote areas.

with that said, i was happy to get out from under the monopoly. they suggested a portable unit when i canceled and told them straight no. I think the DJ selection is great and there are a ton of great channels. that being said, it can be just as repetitive as any other radio station.

I have one of the portable units in my Amazon cart right now. Holding off until I get the car and see how well Slacker works. (or maybe my phone using XM app if I can automate with Siri Shortcuts) If I really need XM the portable units aren’t very expensive and it looks like it would be relatively easy to wire to the car if I use a BT dongle to transmit, rather than the FM tie in I posted about in first post.

I have one of the portable units in my Amazon cart right now. Holding off until I get the car and see how well Slacker works. (or maybe my phone using XM app if I can automate with Siri Shortcuts) If I really need XM the portable units aren’t very expensive and it looks like it would be relatively easy to wire to the car if I use a BT dongle to transmit, rather than the FM tie in I posted about in first post.
don't they give those out for free? if you cancel (if you have a subscription) or wait until they flood you with promotions, they typically have some sort of unit they "give away".

don't they give those out for free? if you cancel (if you have a subscription) or wait until they flood you with promotions, they typically have some sort of unit they "give away".

Oh really? Didn't know that. I'm going to cancel my subscription as soon as I get the new Tesla and no longer have the BMW I'm using it for so I'll see if they offer me anything for free. If they offer me something for free to retain my current subscription, which I already pre-paid for anyway, I'll take them up on it and just see how it works.

I have been meaning to try this, just to get an aux jack for my ipod. Yes, I'm one of the few people who still loves one of those, even though the ones I use only resembles the ones you know superficially. While the USB audio system sounds great, it only offers a small subset of the usability I can get from an ipod. I do wonder about the quality of the sound you would get from this - but I guess the only way to find out is by trying it.