Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory OEM SiriusXM nearly working in Tesla 2022 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am ready to move forward - have both boards pulled out and ready to go. For the 3 ICs that will not mount flush to the top of the M3 case, best practice to remove the old blue thermal pad and replace with just thermal paste, or just add thermal paste on top of the pad. I know somebody mentioned a heat sink, but I would need a visual to know really what they’re talking about.

I initially plan to mount the a stock XM magnetic antenna on the passenger side wedge opposite side to the charge port.
For a M3, has anyone else tried any other mountings with good success?

Thanks again for all ythat have made the first steps on this. I hopefully will let you all know how this works out soon.

I am ready to move forward - have both boards pulled out and ready to go. For the 3 ICs that will not mount flush to the top of the M3 case, best practice to remove the old blue thermal pad and replace with just thermal paste, or just add thermal paste on top of the pad. I know somebody mentioned a heat sink, but I would need a visual to know really what they’re talking about.

I initially plan to mount the a stock XM magnetic antenna on the passenger side wedge opposite side to the charge port.

Thanks again for all ythat have made the first steps on this. I hopefully will let you all know how this works out soon.

i just doubled up the thermal paste on the chips that don’t make contact with the bump in the case. i reused the existing blue pads.

missed this part of your post in my previous reply: before settling on the area opposite the charge port, i tried on the roof with VHB and didn't notice any signficant improvement in signal quality (with the downside of making it far more difficult to run the wires). that's why i settled on just leaving it on the quarter panel. it's super simple to get the wire into the cabin from there, and the signal is fine (far better than it was when i had the antenna inside on the rear deck).

Reactions: ArtK
I'll also add that if you're looking for the low effort (but not as optimal) solution, you can just put the antenna inside the back window on the back deck. The speaker grills are ferrous so the magnet sticks to them. Its not perfect and now and then I'll lose signal, but its so infrequent that it doesn't bother me. That may also have to do with the geography I'm driving in usually. Not many tall buildings or obstructions around.

I'll also add that if you're looking for the low effort (but not as optimal) solution, you can just put the antenna inside the back window on the back deck. The speaker grills are ferrous so the magnet sticks to them. Its not perfect and now and then I'll lose signal, but its so infrequent that it doesn't bother me. That may also have to do with the geography I'm driving in usually. Not many tall buildings or obstructions around.

i spent the first four years of having SXM in the car (back when i had a portable onyx installed in the console) with the antenna on the rear deck… while it does work for the most part, the signal in my experience was greatly improved by getting the antenna outside. enough in my case that i left it there. it’s so easy to put it on the rear quarter panel on the passenger side and get the wire to the tuner from there that it’s worth doing, IMO.

Did you or would you recommend disconnecting either the low or high voltage battery before I start on the tuner swap?
Seconding to simply power off the car via menu. I personally don't think there is any harm in leaving it on, it's just packets being sent either way, but it's an extra precaution we take cause it's trivial. No need to disconnect the 12v.

I've just purchased a M3RWD and have been following all the great work and effort you all have done. I'm ready to make the modification, but finding an old FM/XM tuner has become a challenge or very $$$ costly. Other than the list (below)that was compiled from another article, would/should a tuner from a 2021-3 MS or MX work? I occasionally see someone parting out one of these newer models for whatever fate has bestowed them. I know the 1143716-00-B was said it did not work, but does anyone have any confirms of other working tuners. Thanks again guys - well done! - Joe

Tesla part number: 1143716-00-C (old Model X tuner)
Tesla part number: 1622932-00-B (Plaid tuner)
The tuners listed below have been confirmed working with newer Ryzen vehicles, and will probably also work on any Intel car. Your mileage may vary, of course.
1143711-00-B
1143711-00-C
1622932-00-A

As far as I know, all XM tuners should work; we had some older information that said the B tuner wouldn't work but that was before the software update.

I just received a 1143716-00-B from eBay (SiriusXM shows it as a 2018 Model X) and installed it today. It immediatly started working after a scroll wheel reboot. So I can confirm it works on my 2023 Model 3 Ryzen running 2024.2.6.

i spent the first four years of having SXM in the car (back when i had a portable onyx installed in the console) with the antenna on the rear deck… while it does work for the most part, the signal in my experience was greatly improved by getting the antenna outside. enough in my case that i left it there. it’s so easy to put it on the rear quarter panel on the passenger side and get the wire to the tuner from there that it’s worth doing, IMO.
Before I start my install, I would like to mount the XM antenna on that quarter panel opposite side of the charger port. Is access to the interior through the trunk liner, or once I pull the panels off to install the tuners, will it be access be evident there? Thanks.

Before I start my install, I would like to mount the XM antenna on that quarter panel opposite side of the charger port. Is access to the interior through the trunk liner, or once I pull the panels off to install the tuners, will it be access be evident there? Thanks.
Once you remove the panel around the seatbelt and pull back the truck liner you will clearly see a hole.

Reactions: crackers8199

Once you remove the panel around the seatbelt and pull back the truck liner you will clearly see a hole.

@jr73 exactly this. the hole is easily visible once the panel covers are off. you just tuck the wire under the trunk weatherstripping and then run it from there up to the tuner thru that hole.

• Helpful
Reactions: ph0ton and ArtK
I just received a 1143716-00-B from eBay (SiriusXM shows it as a 2018 Model X) and installed it today. It immediatly started working after a scroll wheel reboot. So I can confirm it works on my 2023 Model 3 Ryzen running 2024.2.6.
i have a new 2024 model y. with new Ryzen chip........do you think a new Model S/X tuner would work since they both have a ryzen chip

Reactions: ph0ton and leecox
I am definitely missing something here but how do you get the wire underneath this panel?

antenna-placement.jpg