Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyway to avoid paying Seattle area sales tax on a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to the FAQ PDF https://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/docs/faq-altfuleexemptions.pdf they list total price of new vehicle under $45k tax exemption, however it also states total lease payments under $45k as well. If the total lease payment wording is indeed the sum of total payments made over a lease term... seems like a good way to save on sales tax on a car that exceeds $45k MSRP.
I called and asked the DOL about this because I'd considered leasing a long range if this was possible. It is just poorly worded. The MSRP including all options and fees still has to be under $45k even if leasing. I ended up buying an SR+ because the thought of avoiding $2500 in sales tax to Washington was worth it.

Reactions: Mwy23
I called and asked the DOL about this because I'd considered leasing a long range if this was possible. It is just poorly worded. The MSRP including all options and fees still has to be under $45k even if leasing. I ended up buying an SR+ because the thought of avoiding $2500 in sales tax to Washington was worth it.

Moral of the story is, if you're a WA resident, you can avoid Seattle-Bellevue sales taxes legally by purchasing the vehicle in Spokane.

Moral of the story is, if you're a WA resident, you can avoid Seattle-Bellevue sales taxes legally by purchasing the vehicle in Spokane.

Correct, but just because you purchase in Spokane you will NOT be able to make the Long Range Model 3 qualify for the sales tax exemption. The difference on $30,000 between Spokane and Seattle-Bellevue isn't going to be that much... maybe a few hundred dollars, not up to $2,500 like the sales tax exemption.