Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP Cameras...yet another thing to consider if not under warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The error is as below in pictures.
BF904056-1893-47AC-A108-D969F7415C2D.jpeg
3ACE58D0-CF03-44F0-A16F-354F848ED116.jpeg

Hi all - did any of you ever get to bottom of these strange errors? I recently paid for FSD upgrade and updated MCU and got the AP3 HW upgrade done. Was flawless for first three weeks and then this week after latest .30 firmware update getting the dreaded camera errors:
- re-ran calibration of cameras which seemed to work for few minutes
- washed car so everything clean
- suspect pillar camera on passenger side as it isn’t appearing when activating camera mode
- tired reseting car computer couple times to no avail

it is cooler here -4C and this happened at night.

anything I should try? I am out of warranty but given I just paid for all these upgrades (8K+) I am hoping the service visit would be covered.

Attachments

• A1C01AC2-0585-4AF2-97D3-E7D204575C51.jpeg
    A1C01AC2-0585-4AF2-97D3-E7D204575C51.jpeg
    716.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 1BF2DBB8-8419-4E2A-8103-4827E35B0FCC.jpeg
    1BF2DBB8-8419-4E2A-8103-4827E35B0FCC.jpeg
    453.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 95662D0A-A653-4B64-A242-FDF4D766B9B8.jpeg
    95662D0A-A653-4B64-A242-FDF4D766B9B8.jpeg
    461.3 KB · Views: 49
Hi all - did any of you ever get to bottom of these strange errors? I recently paid for FSD upgrade and updated MCU and got the AP3 HW upgrade done. Was flawless for first three weeks and then this week after latest .30 firmware update getting the dreaded camera errors:
- re-ran calibration of cameras which seemed to work for few minutes
- washed car so everything clean
- suspect pillar camera on passenger side as it isn’t appearing when activating camera mode
- tired reseting car computer couple times to no avail

it is cooler here -4C and this happened at night.

anything I should try? I am out of warranty but given I just paid for all these upgrades (8K+) I am hoping the service visit would be covered.

I can't say that this is certainly the issue. But every time I've gotten that autopilot error - on 2 separate cars. It has been a failed side marker camera, which based on your right side being in a loading state is probably true as well.

It's a very easy replacement, especially now that calibration can be triggered from the screen. If it was me, I'd try to save several hundred dollars and buy one from a junk yard/ebay/parts swap and use do it myself.

Very weird but both pillar cams now not showing in the dash cam video or while viewing video while parking.. blank with spinning logo.

seems suspicious that both cameras would be defective at same time? Could it be some loose wiring at AP computer (recently upgraded) or firmware bug?

I believe I had it wrong - it appears to be the two side fender cams are missing - not the pillar came.

They're common failures on the fenders - that was the one I was talking about. Did they go out at the same time? Or one before the other?

It's certainly possible it's a loose wire on the MCU as well the only way for you to be sure of that though is to take it into the SC for them to diagnose and the fist thing they'll do is replace both cameras rather than pulling out the MCU again to see if that solves the issue.

One failed and then the other one went offline within a couple hours. So very bizarre! Maybe car wash related?

do both cameras plug separately into MCU or do they first connect to common harness somewhere?

Out of warranty but since I recently had MCU and AP upgraded (early Dec) I will push them to check the connections before replacing cameras. Cameras worked for 3 years without issue before the AP/MCU upgrade.

Have a hard time believing both cameras would fail within hours - even if car wash related. Seems like connection, wiring loose or firmware?

In meantime, I don’t even have cruise control:(

One failed and then the other one went offline within a couple hours. So very bizarre! Maybe car wash related?

do both cameras plug separately into MCU or do they first connect to common harness somewhere?

Out of warranty but since I recently had MCU and AP upgraded (early Dec) I will push them to check the connections before replacing cameras. Cameras worked for 3 years without issue before the AP/MCU upgrade.

Have a hard time believing both cameras would fail within hours - even if car wash related. Seems like connection, wiring loose or firmware?

In meantime, I don’t even have cruise control:(

They connect at the fenders. You can try unplugging them and plugging them back in. You can reboot the MCU as well. Also pull up near a wall and see if any of your blinkers are blinking faster/slower than you normally expect or off cycle, that would indicate a short some where.

So this next part..take with a grain of salt. It's based on what my Xpel installer told me, and an Authorized Tesla body shop confirmed it for me. Those cameras are PICKY. Xpel installer said he stopped touching those cameras because it seemed like every time he did, it caused a problem. The body shop also didn't want to deal with it and cited a common problem and sent me to the SC. When I asked them, they said yea there's no rhyme or reason to them and sometimes just removing and reinstalling them causes issues.

If they're truly that finicky then a car wash could potentially cause an issue. But...I regularly use automated car washes for all 3 of my Teslas for 5+ years now. They're not failing enough to be a regular occurrence. I've had one camera fail on each car and each happened after warranty expiration. So is it possible the car wash caused it? Possible. But I'm not going into that camp and probably guessing that IF the car wash caused it, it was already on it's way out anyway.