Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP (EAP) dropped from 70mph to 40mph without driver intervention

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving back from LAX on the 405 and in the middle of the 50-mile route, with EAP on (autosteer + TACC), the speed listed in blue (meaning I was really using autosteer and TACC together, suddenly changed from 70mp to 40mph with the consequent sharp regen action to brake! Had someone been tailgating me, this could have been serious. I had an upcoming service appointment and I tried to get them to check for sensor and/or software issues, but I was told that Tesla uses Google Maps and there is a beta feature under which the reduced speed could occur because there had been in the past days some construction or something with a reduced speed limit, even though there was nothing posted other than the regular speed limit (65mph?). So this doesn’t make sense to me at all. First, Tesla loudly proclaims its vision-based system, but in this case it would be irrelevant because speed would be determined by Google! Second, I have great difficulty getting Tesla to perform any work under the extended warranty that is not hardware-based. I have a 2016 AP 2.0 MX and the key fobs occasionally randomly assign the driver. And while that sometimes results in a moment of panic as my knees draw closer to the dashboard while the car has begun to move, it is nothing like the potential danger from a sudden, unexplained change in speed unrelated to external conditions, such as cars slowing down.

Has anyone had this experience? It may be limited to older Teslas, perhaps only Models S and X. For example, I get no updates any more except for recall items. Any advice greatly appreciated.

There’s any number of things that could have caused the sudden slowdown — there are tons of threads in this forum and elsewhere about phantom braking. If it was a one-time thing, I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

Although Tesla Vision is used, some speed limit data comes from navigation/map data, not reading signs. Tesla has never explained exactly when vision vs. navigation data is used for speed limits, leading to plenty of speculation here. If someone claims to know how it works, don’t believe them. :)

Service can’t do anything about software issues, and your key fob problem is most likely one of them. Lots of driver profile issues even on new cars — see my thread here for example: Driver profiles -- still crazy after all these years

I know that some older cars get limited updates, but I don’t know what is normal. Which software version do you have now? Are you still on MCU1 or did you upgrade?

I was driving back from LAX on the 405 and in the middle of the 50-mile route, with EAP on (autosteer + TACC), the speed listed in blue (meaning I was really using autosteer and TACC together, suddenly changed from 70mp to 40mph with the consequent sharp regen action to brake! Had someone been tailgating me, this could have been serious. I had an upcoming service appointment and I tried to get them to check for sensor and/or software issues, but I was told that Tesla uses Google Maps and there is a beta feature under which the reduced speed could occur because there had been in the past days some construction or something with a reduced speed limit, even though there was nothing posted other than the regular speed limit (65mph?). So this doesn’t make sense to me at all. First, Tesla loudly proclaims its vision-based system, but in this case it would be irrelevant because speed would be determined by Google! Second, I have great difficulty getting Tesla to perform any work under the extended warranty that is not hardware-based. I have a 2016 AP 2.0 MX and the key fobs occasionally randomly assign the driver. And while that sometimes results in a moment of panic as my knees draw closer to the dashboard while the car has begun to move, it is nothing like the potential danger from a sudden, unexplained change in speed unrelated to external conditions, such as cars slowing down.

Has anyone had this experience? It may be limited to older Teslas, perhaps only Models S and X. For example, I get no updates any more except for recall items. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Unintentional slow down has been a well known bug.

I don't think those workers in a Service Center have the software skills to fix it.

It requires the work of a software team.

Service can’t do anything about software issues, and your key fob problem is most likely one of them. Lots of driver profile issues even on new cars — see my thread here for example: Driver profiles -- still crazy after all these years

I know that some older cars get limited updates, but I don’t know what is normal. Which software version do you have now? Are you still on MCU1 or did you upgrade?
I have MCU1 and still have other associated issues: screen goes black, etc. But I’d be surprised if that’s the cause of this. I’m on 2022.8.10.17.
Unintentional slow down has been a well known bug.

I don't think those workers in a Service Center have the software skills to fix it.

It requires the work of a software team.

I’ve had phantom braking a few times, but this was different because the set speed limit highlighted in blue just suddenly changed for no apparent reason.

I have MCU1 and still have other associated issues: screen goes black, etc. But I’d be surprised if that’s the cause of this. I’m on 2022.8.10.17.

I’ve had phantom braking a few times, but this was different because the set speed limit highlighted in blue just suddenly changed for no apparent reason.

There can be many reasons or no reason at all but a slow down is still a slow down.

It needs to be fixed and if the software team can't now, I don't think any of us or Service Center can.

Reactions: MBluTslita