Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP/Cruise stops working when wet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to share an odd problem I ran into with my 2018 MX 100D. From the day I picked it up the AP/cruise control would disengage with an error indicating that the radar was partially obstructed when driving in the rain (even light mist). Tesla at first indicated this was normal in the rain, but this is my 2nd MX and the previous one (with AP2) never had the problem. I then realized it was happening after a car wash too so it was any time it got wet. After 3 trips to the SC they finally located and resolved the issue - a faulty wiring harness plug that was allowing water to enter it and ground out. They corrected the plug and all is well in the rain now.

Kudos to the Dedham SC for their dedication to finding the issue. It was difficult to simulate and then in turn track down but they nailed it. They had it for a week and the SC manager Eric stayed on top of it and kept me updated with the progress the whole time. He was clearly just as excited as I was when they finally figured it out. They made sure they solved it by running it thru the car wash multiple times, multiple days afterwards. They clearly cared and wanted the job done right. I've always had great experiences with the Dedham SC. And no I don't work for Tesla lol...

• Informative
Reactions: Bogobec and OPRCE
Good to know they took your problem seriously and resolved it.

Just in case anyone isn't aware, when the car reports this problem, it doesn't necessarily mean the radar is the problem. I had the same error when snow covered the forward cameras. A total reset didn't resolve the issue, but a quick wipe of the camera lenses resolved the issue and I got my cruise control back.