Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apartment Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're about to take delivery of our MY soon and I'm wondering what charging pattern I should use. We're lucky that our complex has both J1772 chargers and one Tesla charger so most of the time it will charge on the Tesla charger. I know the manual says to leave it charging but I can't hog that charger all the time because that's just rude even if we're the only Tesla at the moment. My question is should I charge to 90% every time we come back and then move it to our spot or leave it to a certain percentage? Like I figured I would have to make sure its charged before we leave, but there is a supercharger only 15 min/miles from us so that's not too much of an issue either if its kinda low. Recommendations?

Some complexes have started charging consumers from both charging time and idle time to optimize usage and prevent unnecessary blocking of the charging spot. Please check with the complex on their policy. As a general rule non peak hours charging is cheaper than peak hour charging. Enjoy your new MY

Reactions: Jermayan
Some complexes have started charging consumers from both charging time and idle time to optimize usage and prevent unnecessary blocking of the charging spot. Please check with the complex on their policy. As a general rule non peak hours charging is cheaper than peak hour charging. Enjoy your new MY
Thanks yeah I will check with them again. Last I checked before we ordered they didn't charge for any of them but I don't know if that's changed.

Don't stress too much about it. I have a home charger and don't plug in every night. Aim for shallow charges when you can but don't overthink it. Charge when it makes sense to you, to whatever percentage you need to do a couple days. I typically charge to 80-85%-90% and drive until I'm in the 50-60% range. I'm too lazy to plug every day :) You will not see any significant degradation/problem.If you want to have fun you can read the hundreds of pages of argumentation on the model 3 charging subforum ...

We're about to take delivery of our MY soon and I'm wondering what charging pattern I should use. We're lucky that our complex has both J1772 chargers and one Tesla charger so most of the time it will charge on the Tesla charger. I know the manual says to leave it charging but I can't hog that charger all the time because that's just rude even if we're the only Tesla at the moment. My question is should I charge to 90% every time we come back and then move it to our spot or leave it to a certain percentage? Like I figured I would have to make sure its charged before we leave, but there is a supercharger only 15 min/miles from us so that's not too much of an issue either if its kinda low. Recommendations?
yup do that. charge to 90 then move it

Don't stress too much about it. I have a home charger and don't plug in every night. Aim for shallow charges when you can but don't overthink it. Charge when it makes sense to you, to whatever percentage you need to do a couple days. I typically charge to 80-85%-90% and drive until I'm in the 50-60% range. I'm too lazy to plug every day :) You will not see any significant degradation/problem.If you want to have fun you can read the hundreds of pages of argumentation on the model 3 charging subforum ...
yup do that. charge to 90 then move it
Thank you