Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apollo 11: What we Saw (a 4 part series)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bill Whittle has written a 4 part series about living through the Apollo 11 era. It covers everything from the launch of the Redstone Mercury rockets (based on the A4 aka V2 rockets) up to SpaceX's Heavy Falcon. Join this Steely-eyed Missile Man as he walks the Small Steps that lead to that Giant Leap.

Nice series of shows and it reminded me of something I won't forget.....

July 25, 1969: On liberty in Valletta, Malta, US Navy. The first foreign port I ever visited. I was not sure what to expect when I first stepped off the ship and walked down the street of a strange land outside America. Almost immediately a girl (about 25 years old) ran up to me and hugged me and was jumping up and down with excitement. She spoke some other language and was trying to talk to me, yet I couldn’t understand her. I thought she was probably one of those prostitutes I was warned about, although she had tears of excitement in her eyes and just kept jumping and hugging. I was confused and honestly a bit nervous about what was going on. Finally, I understood the word “moon” as she pointed to the sky, but I still didn’t know what she meant. Suddenly it made sense she was excited about America landing a man on the moon! She was so happy for us. The landing was days earlier with Apollo 11, but we just arrived in port. In fact, everyone in Malta was excited. Any American sailor in a uniform was automatically a hero and being offered free food and drinks. Several people wanted to take pictures with me. This was my greatest time in the Navy when I was so proud to be an American. Gee, how times have changed.