Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

APS in AZ buys back at 12.9 cents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this is more than i pay during off grid use. so it's better for me to use my battery and solar during peak energy costs (3pm to 8pm in Az), then during off peak just use the grid as much as possible rather than run my batteries down to 0.
anyone else doing this?

when i first got my solar and batteries my usage was >99% from solar and battery and < 1% from the grid.
once i realized how much more i get selling that juice back to APS i changed my strategy.
now i'm ~30% solar and battery; and ~70% from the grid (all off peak).
anyone else doing this?

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
That sounds great. I am on SRP I have thought about going solar but last I checked SRP didn't offer net metering and selling back to grid I wouldn't get much. Maybe things have changed. SRP is known for not being solar friendly

That's exactly my plan, except since I'm going solar now I'll only get 11.6 cents.

I did the math and it makes more sense to buy a larger array with no batteries than a smaller array with batteries. Since you really only need batteries to cover the on-peak/demand period when you're not generating solar energy, they're only needed Mon-Fri ~5-8pm. With two A/C and other loads, I would need to get two batteries to cover the power draw in the summer months. For the price of the batteries, and with APS rate structure, unfortunately its just not worth it.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Matthew049
I think APS covers half the valley.

We can sell back to the grid at any time for the 11.6c/kwh. Straight bill credit. We buy from the grid depending on the rate plan. Off peak price is less than 11.6c. On peak price price is more. So, by reducing energy usage during solar generation to ensure selling back as much as possible along with reducing usage during on peak will create the best value.

Basically, buy low and sell high.

I think APS covers half the valley.

We can sell back to the grid at any time for the 11.6c/kwh. Straight bill credit. We buy from the grid depending on the rate plan. Off peak price is less than 11.6c. On peak price price is more. So, by reducing energy usage during solar generation to ensure selling back as much as possible along with reducing usage during on peak will create the best value.

Basically, buy low and sell high.

So we don't have to have a tou plan here with APS? I have read some utilities require tou plans for solar.

Yes, you need a TOU plan for APS now.

Don't get confused between APS buy back of excess electricity vs you buying energy from APS.

For example, let's say in a month you sell back to APS 1,700 kwh at 11.6c, comes out to $197 credit on your bill that month. And let's say your energy usage from the grid that month where you're buying from APS dependent on your plan comes out to a $200 bill. Total you would only pay APS $3 that month.

Yes, you need a TOU plan for APS now.

Don't get confused between APS buy back of excess electricity vs you buying energy from APS.

For example, let's say in a month you sell back to APS 1,700 kwh at 11.6c, comes out to $197 credit on your bill that month. And let's say your energy usage from the grid that month where you're buying from APS dependent on your plan comes out to a $200 bill. Total you would only pay APS $3 that month.

Ah, that is what I was getting confused, the difference between buy back versus the rest, it makes sense now

I just checked my plan with APS, there is a .03 cent period from 10 am till 3 pm. this is only active during late fall/winter weekdays. It's a huge cost difference from any other time. So if you can make it happen that is the time to charge.

That's the "Saver Choice" plan. Very bad deal if you have solar since the super off peak time is exactly when your solar panels are producing energy so you'll never actually use grid energy at that low rate. The on peak and regular off peak rates for when you will actually use energy from the grid are higher than the other plans. Plus there's a flat monthly charge on top for that plan.