Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aptera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First Drive: Aptera 2E - Automobile

aptera-2e-front-view.jpg

aptera-2e-controls.jpg

aptera-2e-engine.jpg

So the project is dead? I thought this was still in development?
Well like others, they're waiting for a DOE loan. (Law of unintended consequences, the ATVM has likely hurt more small players than it has helped.) But the waiting for a loan, and the time spent redesigning the vehicles for more "mass appeal" I believe has caused them to miss their market window. I expressed my opinion on it here.

At any rate, the founder seems to have washed his hands of it.

Looks like their marketing folks are offering some limited test drives, but don't expect an actual vehicle for sale any time soon.

Last edited:
Here's an interesting thing to consider: Most states classify a three-wheeled vehicle as a motorcycle. That means you not only need to have a motorcycle classification on your driver's license to (legally) drive it, but in certain states you would also legally be required to wear a helmet while you drive it!
I heard since it is fully enclosed you don't need a helmet and because it has 3 wheels you don't need a motorcycle license (at least in CA, might be different in other states). Reading other forums, if they require you to have a motorcycle license and they classify this as a motorcycle, presumably you can take the test in the Aptera (don't know how it will work though). Aptera does avoid a lot of federal safety testing this way though.

I heard since it is fully enclosed you don't need a helmet and because it has 3 wheels you don't need a motorcycle license (at least in CA, might be different in other states). Reading other forums, if they require you to have a motorcycle license and they classify this as a motorcycle, presumably you can take the test in the Aptera (don't know how it will work though). Aptera does avoid a lot of federal safety testing this way though.

-- When I was at Watkins Glen for a track day, they wouldn't even let me drive my Honda Spree pit scooter around the track grounds without wearing a helmet; the access roads there are classified as official streets!

-- Can't imagine attempting a motorcycle test with this thing!

-- You are correct though, Aptera avoids a staggering amount of regulations by only using three wheels! (see Zap)

I can't see the four door ever happening. They're having a hard enough time getting the three-wheeler built, and as a "motorcycle" it doesn't have to conform to any of the complicated and expensive regulations and FMVSS that four wheeled cars do. There's simply no way they have the resources to pull it off.

mattjs, unfortunately I agree with you that it seems unlikely Aptera will get it done-- but at the same time I think the Xprize video of the door flying open and the car looking grossly out of control in a hard turn really crushes their chances of convincing mass audiences that the original version is "stable". I don't know what their path to success might be... maybe a deal in China or maybe licensing their patented composite construction body, the way Tesla may choose to license it's batteries.

Today in email:
Greetings! Here's a quick update for you as to what's happening at Aptera.

Even though we haven't been making much news lately, these are exciting times at Aptera. We will begin rolling-out our four-part strategic update during the next six months, which includes solidifying our final funding and production plans. And while we can't reveal everything right now, here's a glimpse into our near-term future.

We are moving our headquarters from Oceanside to Carlsbad. Yes, we purposely opted to continue residing in North County-San Diego, which has been and will remain Aptera's home for our leadership, administrative, sales and marketing, product development and research functions for the foreseeable future. The Carlsbad site will specifically allow us to grow our engineering and office facility to accommodate several hundred new direct and indirect jobs and, in reality, why would anybody want to leave "America's Finest City?" We love San Diego! It's a growing strategic hub for clean technology thought-leaders, and we plan to be a part of that growth. In fact, we are looking to begin staffing engineering, composites product development and design positions as early as the third quarter of this year.

The key element in our corporate headquarters move is that Aptera management has been exploring the impact of consolidating our production facility plans, from two lower volume plants (one in North San Diego County and one proposed elsewhere in the U.S.), into one higher volume facility outside of California. In fact, we have received some very generous multi-million-dollar incentive proposals from other states. These vast potential savings, coupled with lower structural costs - such as labor, real estate, energy and logistics - would support our goals to keep our vehicles as affordable as possible. We've worked to find similar savings in our North County (San Diego) plans to offset these structural costs without increasing the price of our vehicles, but the potential is stronger elsewhere. This is a change in direction for us, but it is a change that we are happy to make because it supports one of our key objectives...keep our radically efficient vehicles accessible to the masses and made in the United States!

Look for numerous exciting Aptera announcements between now and the end of the year pertaining to job creation, product development, our impressive composites engineering, vehicle designs and funding. So while we're not making much news today...you'll definitely see a lot of forward momentum as we move deeper into 2011. There are a lot of positive happenings at Aptera as we build a company that will prosper for years to come.

Look for pictures of our new facility on facebook later today!

This has been a real slow death spiral of wingless flight...

Aptera wont build cars in North County - SignOnSanDiego.com
Aptera seeking manucfacturing facility outside of California - Autoblog Green

This ABG commenter sums it up:
Mark Sumner Yes, I had a three-digit reservation number from Aptera in the first day after they started taking reservations. I was ready to take it then, warts and all. I bet 90% of those who plunked down their cash in those first days felt the same. Production not just felt days away, I got a chance to see the facility then and low volume production was just weeks away.

Instead, they hired guys from the Big 3 who "knew what people really want" and here we are... at the end of the road.

Instead, they hired guys from the Big 3 who "knew what people really want" and here we are... at the end of the road.
Don't expect change when you keep on acting the same.

Why is Tesla succesful? Because Elon is such an egoistic jerk who doesn't let anybody to tell him his is wrong. It's only luck he hasn't been too wrong yet.