Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are level two chargers at hotels/ garages always cheaper than Super C’s the US ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quite a few parking garages we have used enroute to Miami Beach have level 2 slow chargers , which we have been using.
Never really sure what the rate is but have people found them generally a good deal if you don’t need the much quicker Super chargers?

The hotels in my area are all free although they're also supposed to be just for customers. As for other L2s out there in various places, they really run the gamet from Free to as high as $0.50 (yes, really, and definitely more than supercharging). Most in my area are of the order of $0.20 to $0.30/kWh which is cheaper than supercharging. Which...if you have time to spare (like you are busy eating dinner, taking a long walk or watching a movie) would save money. So like LoudMusic said, just check Plug Share. The price is almost always accurate on there and if it's not, you can Edit it.

I have always found L2 chargers at hotels to be free. Those in parking garages are a rip off considering the amount of charge you get for the amount of time it takes to charge. When going to stores or shopping centers with free L2 charging, I don't even bother. Trying to find them can be a hassle assuming an ICE car isn't parked in the space. But you will get what, 5 miles of added range in the 20 minutes or so you will be there.
Also, all L2 chargers aren't the same. I've seen "Level 2" chargers charge at 3.6KWh which is a waste of time. I plugged into one of these last year when going to watch Oppenheimer at a movie theater which is 3 hours long. I think it added 3% to the battery in the 3.5 hours it charged. It was free, but not worth the hassle IMO.

Usually, L2 chargers at hotels are free but, in the cities, especially, in CA some charge. It is probably my post that @cwerdna refers to here:
There was a report of a ripoff for L2 charging hotel in So Cal here at TMC. Unfortunately, I’ve searched for the thread before, to no avail. I know I’d read it before though.
Some that do charge end up being useless because they allow only 2 or 4 hours of charging at reasonable rates before they jack the charging cost up to $1/KWh or higher, meaning one needs to move ones car, without a full charge, often in the middle of the night.
As always, check plugshare.com for info on all chargers besides Tesla ones before counting on them.

Reactions: cwerdna