Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are there any owners here that did not do the full PPF treatment? (poll)

What level of PPF did you do?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never PPF'd any of my prior vehicles. However after seeing how thin and soft Tesla paint is, I decided to bite the bullet and have the front and areas behind all wheels done. It wasn't super expensive, and I don't care about resale with paint chips, but I don't want the paint to look like garbage within a year of owning the car.
I guess if you believe the front will look like garbage after 1 year then you’ve justified your purchase. I have 2 model S cars and literally took a pic of one of the front bumpers on my 2017 with 110K miles while sitting in the parking lot waiting for my wife to come out of the grocery store. Is this what everyone is afraid of?
94569704-28E7-4C9E-8353-AEF8F3546E6F.jpeg

I guess if you believe the front will look like garbage after 1 year then you’ve justified your purchase. I have 2 model S cars and literally took a pic of one of the front bumpers on my 2017 with 110K miles while sitting in the parking lot waiting for my wife to come out of the grocery store. Is this what everyone is afraid of?View attachment 766031
It really depends on where you usually drive... city driving is less likely to produce rock chips in my experience, as the speeds are usually low and not many rocks get lifted up to hit your car. If you frequently do freeways (and again - depends on which freeways, as some are dirtier than others) you can get a decent amount of rock chips in a matter of 100 miles. I recently saw a brand new Model S, less than 1000 miles to it - the owner went from the Bay Area to Disneyland in SoCal, and by the time he was back he had multiple and very visible rock chips at the front of the hood. i5 is dirty :/

Reactions: cwanja
Lol… something is not right. I live in the Bay Area and we normally drive to Camarillo and San Diego 3 to 4 times a year on highway 5 too. The reason why I prefer not having PPF is because I’d rather ceramic coat my own car and try different products on top. Does your guys PPF always feels smooth and slick after each wash?

Lol… something is not right. I live in the Bay Area and we normally drive to Camarillo and San Diego 3 to 4 times a year on highway 5 too. The reason why I prefer not having PPF is because I’d rather ceramic coat my own car and try different products on top. Does your guys PPF always feels smooth and slick after each wash?
Dunno 🤷‍♂️ I only have impact zones PPF (hood, fenders, lights) as I can't justify the price of full PPF + with impact zones you can just replace it when it gets too damaged. Before I put it though I also got a few rock chips, so maybe it's mostly chance/luck involved, but in my experience rock chips do happen. I even had a rock chip so big that it broke my previous Model 3's windshield. (I am in East Bay and 680 is usually pretty littered).

Reactions: D Unit
Yes, but there is a ceramic on top of the PPF. Although there is now PPF with ceramic coatings built into the PPF.

Reactions: D Unit
I live in the Bay Area as well but have lived decades in the Midwest and east coast as well. If you think california is representative of what living/driving in other parts of the country is like…

Also ppf and ceramic coatings and/or other such products are entirely different things. Maybe you’re confused because both types of product say “protection”. One is primarily about physician protection (scratches, rock chips, etc). The other is primarily chemical protection and enhancement (hydrophobic properties, gloss, etc).

Comparing the two is like comparing a bullet proof vest and a raincoat. Neither is good at the job of the other.

I live in the Bay Area as well but have lived decades in the Midwest and east coast as well. If you think california is representative of what living/driving in other parts of the country is like…

Also ppf and ceramic coatings and/or other such products are entirely different things. Maybe you’re confused because both types of product say “protection”. One is primarily about physician protection (scratches, rock chips, etc). The other is primarily chemical protection and enhancement (hydrophobic properties, gloss, etc).

Comparing the two is like comparing a bullet proof vest and a raincoat. Neither is good at the job of the other.
Are you saying it still still snows in the Winter?! PPF and coatings are not the same?! Wow, thanks for educating me. I'll see myself out now.

• Funny