Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are these trunk struts installed properly on my model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2023 Model Y (LR/AWD)

Just thought I would ask the TMC community here before I consult with a TESLA technician.

Just today, I noticed that the two air pistons that move the rear lift gate up and down exist in an opposing manner, almost like yin-yang. (SEE PHOTOS)

Is this normal, or should the piston on the right look more like the piston on the left? Are they supposed to be uniform? I tried sliding up the shroud (what I thought was a shroud) on the right on to match the height of the left one. If you zoom in and look closely at the left on, it actually has three telescoping components to the shroud (what looks like a shroud). The bottom piece on the right piston appears to match the middle piece on the left piston. You can see where the shroud stops due to the dust rings.

NOTE: I say there is a shroud because these pistons don't look anything like the pistons on your daddy's camper shell door from your childhood, as there is no exposed male and female components.

Thanks in advance to those who weigh in!

IMG_3353.JPG

IMG_3354.JPG

IMG_3355.JPG

I did go to the Service center and although they did not have clips, they sold me a hing. Again they were very nice, condo to Milford CT. Tesla service.
Do you think I need to power off the car when I disconnect the Sturt? I hope it will not spring out (extend) and I may not be able to place in position...

Upvote 0