Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are these trunk struts installed properly on my model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2023 Model Y (LR/AWD)

Just thought I would ask the TMC community here before I consult with a TESLA technician.

Just today, I noticed that the two air pistons that move the rear lift gate up and down exist in an opposing manner, almost like yin-yang. (SEE PHOTOS)

Is this normal, or should the piston on the right look more like the piston on the left? Are they supposed to be uniform? I tried sliding up the shroud (what I thought was a shroud) on the right on to match the height of the left one. If you zoom in and look closely at the left on, it actually has three telescoping components to the shroud (what looks like a shroud). The bottom piece on the right piston appears to match the middle piece on the left piston. You can see where the shroud stops due to the dust rings.

NOTE: I say there is a shroud because these pistons don't look anything like the pistons on your daddy's camper shell door from your childhood, as there is no exposed male and female components.

Thanks in advance to those who weigh in!

IMG_3353.JPG

IMG_3354.JPG

IMG_3355.JPG

This may not be the right place to ask, but this thread came up in a Google Search, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I've got a 2023 Model Y, and for some reason the bottom connector of the driver side rear trunk strut has become loose. I noticed it when I tried to close the trunk and it completely detached and the trunk slammed down. I'm able to reconnect it by lifting the trunk with one hand and snapping it back in place, but after 2-3 times of closing the trunk the strut becomes detached again.

I'm trying to find a reputable site / source to replace the strut. Anyone know where I should go? Thanks!

Upvote 0
This may not be the right place to ask, but this thread came up in a Google Search, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I've got a 2023 Model Y, and for some reason the bottom connector of the driver side rear trunk strut has become loose. I noticed it when I tried to close the trunk and it completely detached and the trunk slammed down. I'm able to reconnect it by lifting the trunk with one hand and snapping it back in place, but after 2-3 times of closing the trunk the strut becomes detached again.

I'm trying to find a reputable site / source to replace the strut. Anyone know where I should go? Thanks!
See if you can have it replaced by the mobile service

Upvote 0
. . . or at least provide photos

sounds like it's maybe missing a retaining clip

I take it back - I just looked and that's not an easy place to take photos
Yeah, I’ve been trying to avoid setting up a service appointment, because it seems like an easy replacement if you have the right part. I just can’t seem to find the part anywhere but eBay. I did snap two pictures just to reference. Everything looks normal, but you can slide the strut off the ball joint with very little pressure. Perhaps a clip popped off and some point, but both sides look identical. I know there is a plastic black clip that holds it all together, but that still seems to be intact.
C2125DFF-B8D0-459F-9504-EE0670AD6460.jpeg
C0DEDB21-31A8-4FF5-8DA7-33DC5057C671.jpeg

Upvote 0

If I were you, I would just go to your nearest TESLA service center (walk-in; no appointment) and explain the situation and get their advice on how to handle it. They may advise you to submit a service request via the TESLA mobile app, or they may just install the clip you are likely missing and not charge you. It has been to my great advantage to do so and to be warm and friendly to the service technicians. This makes them much kinder and more generous in turn. Just yesterday, I went to the service center (walk-in) and inquired about buying a broken plastic clip that my frunk liner attaches to and wanted some additional plastic pins. The technician who helped me came right out to my car and removed my frunk shroud and went and got the clips I needed and even gave me extra. No charge! Kindness pays…

Reactions: Pianewman
Upvote 0
THEbuzz:
"I went to the service center (walk-in) and inquired about buying a broken plastic clip that my frunk liner attaches to and wanted some additional plastic pins. The technician who helped me came right out to my car and removed my frunk shroud and went and got the clips I needed and even gave me extra. No charge! Kindness pays…"

The first time I removed the frunk liner, I broke one of the (fragile) pieces that attach the liner/cover to the fenders. I drove to the SC, admitted to breaking the part, and the tech handed me a couple of those clips, and a couple of the white clips under the liner, "Hey, it happens all the time."

• Funny
Reactions: THEbuz
Upvote 0
Ha-ha. Mine basically said the same thing! 🤣

Funny thing is, for whatever reason, TESLA seems to have designed more “holes” for clips to be placed (white ones and black ones) under the frunk liner and shroud than they equip the car with when it is manufactured. My technician attached extra whites ones and gave me some extra black ones to take home.

Upvote 0
Glad to hear the SC (or most) are open to people coming in with quick fix issues. I’m hoping my problem can be fixed with some kind of fastener / adjustment, as opposed to the metal ball joint being slightly smaller than it should be and not properly attaching to the strut.

Upvote 0
As with any industry, mgmt and staffing numbers/distribution dictate service quality. I dropped in unannounced for a 12v battery replacement (non warranty, paying out of pocket), job was finished in 15minutes.

I'm certain both of the Toyota dealers I work with aren't able to match that. Service Advisor needs to come out, inspect the car, find the battery, and have me go to the end of the "waiting" line of customers.

Upvote 0
Sorry to ask. But this looks like a good group. Anyone knows where I can buy the brackets the struts are connected to the trunk?
If your local TESLA Service Center folks are cool, then drop in w/o an appointment and ask them for help identifying that part number. TESLA has a parts website where you can search for that part number and work through TESLA to order the replacement parts. Be prepared with a reasonable explanation on why you have need of those parts.

Upvote 0
If your local TESLA Service Center folks are cool, then drop in w/o an appointment and ask them for help identifying that part number. TESLA has a parts website where you can search for that part number and work through TESLA to order the replacement parts. Be prepared with a reasonable explanation on why you have need of those parts.

It looks like @Gaius already went to Tesla, and they told them they want to replace the struts themselves.

Upvote 0