Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To anyone in Arizona that has a Tesla:

To drive in the HOV lane, is the auto required to have the blue cloud plate? Or can we just use a regular plate, or maybe a vanity plate? Or maybe a sticker or something other than that uncomely plate?

The reason we're asking is the blue cloud plate looks like cartoon clouds from "The Simpsons", and clashes w/ the car.

TIA,

~ Bruce

Check this out...ARS 28-2416.

28-2416 - Alternative fuel vehicle special plates; stickers; use of high occupancy vehicle lanes; definition

Seems like it allows for an alternative fuel sticker in lieu of a cloud plate.

D. If a motor vehicle qualifies pursuant to this section and any other special plates are issued pursuant to article 7, 8 or 13 of this chapter or section 28-2414 or 28-2514 for the motor vehicle, the department may issue an alternative fuel vehicle sticker to the person who owns the motor vehicle. The alternative fuel vehicle sticker shall be diamond-shaped, shall indicate the type of alternative fuel used by the vehicle and shall be placed on the motor vehicle as prescribed by the department.

E. Except as provided in section 28-337, a person may drive a motor vehicle with alternative fuel vehicle special plates or an alternative fuel vehicle sticker in high occupancy vehicle lanes at any time, regardless of occupancy level, without penalty.

I'm tempted to put my 100 Club plate on my 3 now, but I'm not sure I want a sticker.

Last edited:
Hello there,
What is the verdict on the option of an AFV sticker in lieu of a cloud license plate in Arizona?
If you can get a sticker, you would be OK. But I haven’t seen an AF sticker in over 10 years. I would not know how to ask for one. Some time ago (about 16+ years) they issued an AFV sticker along with your license plate. The sticker looked like it was homemade and was to be affixed on the outside of the rear window – there may have been an additional front sticker. I think they dropped it in lieu of the plates. The police now probably only look at the plates, and a sticker would confuse them.

Here is a picture of my US Electricar (Prizm) from 2006 where I only used the AF license place – I think I discarded the sticker or left it in the glove box.
D8CF6E7C-2DEE-4868-A1CC-6D8A57B7DB89_1_105_c.jpeg

Good luck getting anything other than the ugly AFV plate. A couple of weeks ago when I registered my Tesla, the lady at MVD said the computer would not allow her to select a specialized plate for my Tesla. A Tesla owner I spoke with that had an ASU speciality plate said that she had found a longtime employee at the MVD that was able to work around the problem. Best I could get done was get the MVD lady to send a software bug ticket. I’m still running the temp tag since it is good for a year and better looking than the ugly cartoon cloud plate.

Yes, but you can only drive in the HOV lane with 1 person using the “ugly” AFV plate. If you don’t care about that, you can go online and order from a selection of dozens of different plates. The AFV plate is bearable if you customize it: See if you can get a 2 character plate. You can use spaces to position the letters such as they blend in with the clouds.

Yes, but you can only drive in the HOV lane with 1 person using the “ugly” AFV plate. If you don’t care about that, you can go online and order from a selection of dozens of different plates. The AFV plate is bearable if you customize it: See if you can get a 2 character plate. You can use spaces to position the letters such as they blend in with the clouds.
I'm not in the Phoenix area so won't be using HOV. Just tried again after reading your message. I was hoping something had change but no. AZMVDNow.gov still doesn't allow me to order a specialized plate online. After selecting a plate, signing in, and selecting my Tesla, I get this message...
  • Plate cannot be used for a vehicle with this fuel type.
So I guess I'm stuck with the ugly plate that I actually had to pay and extra $8 for the privilage.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 17.25.40.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 17.25.40.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 41