Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

asked to pick up instead of home delivery or risk losing $7500 tax credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed the order on 9/16 and was told the car will be delivered to my house because I am more than 160 miles away from the closest Tesla Service Center. My car has been out of the factory since 11/14 and I still don't have an estimated delivery date yet. My DA contacted me yesterday asking me to pick up the car or risk losing the $7500 tax credit by not being able to receive the car before the end of the year. In fact the Tesla service center is 6.5 hours away and today I was offered to reimburse one way rental car. I really want to get it delivered to me. Anyone has similar experience?

I opted for not waiting and flew to the delivery center closest to me (5.5 hrs) to pick up the car and drove back. I would recommend flying if you can. They will reimburse up to $150 for travel. I was able to get a cheap one-way ticket and took a Lyft to the delivery center. Still waiting on reimbursement (delivery was 11/10), but not too concerned. I would also recommend taking an early flight and booking an early-ish appointment as you may be waiting. I didn't leave until 3 hours after my scheduled delivery time and ended up driving in the dark, which isn't ideal for me.

• Helpful
Reactions: sixty and brkaus
And you are not anxious about getting the car eh?

It's funny that they give me the option but I still can't get a date from my DA when the car will be ready. Also I have a surgery scheduled next month and won't be able to drive for a week after. It would be great if they can just give me a day so I can get a better planning.

Reactions: Bogobec
I opted for not waiting and flew to the delivery center closest to me (5.5 hrs) to pick up the car and drove back. I would recommend flying if you can. They will reimburse up to $150 for travel. I was able to get a cheap one-way ticket and took a Lyft to the delivery center. Still waiting on reimbursement (delivery was 11/10), but not too concerned. I would also recommend taking an early flight and booking an early-ish appointment as you may be waiting. I didn't leave until 3 hours after my scheduled delivery time and ended up driving in the dark, which isn't ideal for me.

It costs about $250-$300 to take a taxi from the airport to the Tesla CS. Lyft probably will cost $200 I would think.