Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stranded 1000 miles from home - MS Battery replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2019 MS had to be towed from the Clayton, NM supercharger to the Santa Fe service center for warranty HV battery replacement.

The tow and the repair are under extended warranty protection, but the car is 1000 miles from home. I’m stranded with no car, no rental cars agencies here, wife is driving 900 miles to pick me up because the repair will take several days at best.

So how do I retrieve the car? I live in Austin, Tx which is 1000 miles away. Anyone experience this?

The tow truck driver says he has towed cars back to owners in this situation. Hard time believing this since Tesla told me the car was out of warranty and it would be $1600 for the 200 mile tow to Santa Fe, and that needed to be paid before they towed the car. They were wrong but I’m not encouraged that roadside assistance claimed the car was out of warranty even though it’s clearly not. I had to send pics to them from the warranty info on the app.

This is a terrible predicament to be in, sorry you having to deal with this all. But, do what you have to do to to get your vehicle home safe. Keep records of all costs involved and try to recoup same afterwards from Tesla Corporate if you can. Seems like your only choice, unless you get an advanced authorization from Tesla to have your vehicle towed to TX at no cost.

if u post codes from service mode, we can better guess if its HV or not...
if tesla will determine that it is HV n u have warranty then i'm sure they'll re-reimburse the towing
checking towing by urself with 3rd party might yield better pricing
flying one way might be cheaper than driving, same for picking up the car
good luck

Reactions: cwerdna
if u post codes from service mode, we can better guess if its HV or not...
if tesla will determine that it is HV n u have warranty then i'm sure they'll re-reimburse the towing
checking towing by urself with 3rd party might yield better pricing
flying one way might be cheaper than driving, same for picking up the car
good luck
Yea it’s the battery. They have car now and I’m getting a loaner in Austin. Prob just gonna have fly to Santa Fe to get the car. They paid all the towing 100%. Pretty good response overall from Tesla. Car had 800 miles left on extended warranty.

wife is driving 900 miles to pick me up because the repair will take several days at best.
1708736290052.png

• Funny
Reactions: walla2
The tow truck driver says he has towed cars back to owners in this situation. Hard time believing this since Tesla told me the car was out of warranty and it would be $1600 for the 200 mile tow to Santa Fe, and that needed to be paid before they towed the car. They were wrong but I’m not encouraged that roadside assistance claimed the car was out of warranty even though it’s clearly not. I had to send pics to them from the warranty info on the app.
Roadside has limited access to all the data in my experience. I had a loaner that wasn't working properly, and they could barely help because they only saw very limited data and clearly not all the data available to an SC. I've also been in an SC and had to remind them about my warranty and also about my specific terms. Seems the software may burry extended warranties and it may not be obvious to employees.

Roadside has limited access to all the data in my experience. I had a loaner that wasn't working properly, and they could barely help because they only saw very limited data and clearly not all the data available to an SC. I've also been in an SC and had to remind them about my warranty and also about my specific terms. Seems the software may burry extended warranties and it may not be obvious to employees.
Yea, seems like he was just preparing me for the worst. Within an hour or so I got an email from Tesla roadside that they would reimburse any costs. When the tow truck driver arrived four hours later from Santa Fe, he said there was no charge. I got a new Model Y with acceleration boost and FSD for a loaner here in Austin, so I am satisfied with the response at this point.