Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Assistance with Insurance Claim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some years ago I dinged a lady's car. It was my fault. I told her I didn't want to run through insurance, but I'd take care of it. Good thing she trusted me. She didn't have a body shop in mind, so we agreed to meet at one I knew the next day. We got them to write an estimate, that came to $1200. I wrote her a check for $1400, and said get the car fixed wherever, or keep the money. Hand shake, end of story.

Yeah, I'd never leave the scene of an accident without a police report (although there are some jurisdictions that don't dispatch police to minor accidents) and a copy of the other driver's insurance information. If a driver wants to pay for the damage out of pocket, no problem, I can hold off on filing a claim for a day or two, but I know that I have all the information needed to do so if the other driver doesn't immediately come through. And if they did not have cash in hand the next day, I'd be filing a claim right away. There's just too much risk and too little benefit as the non-fault party.

With my Tesla, I'd likely want to have Tesla's body shop do the repair (we have one in my greater metro area) while most people looking to pay out of pocket for the claim would want to take the vehicle to a lower cost shop.

When it first happened, i talked to my insurance and they said to put the claim thru the other insurance. I also spoke with a friend who does claims and she advise the same thing. If i go thru mine insurance, even if im not a fault, my rate will go up. MA dont allow DV claim. Aditionally....it was my cousin who hit my car...i was parked. At this point, i just need to wait for the state to respond to my my dispute. If it's not favorable, then I will go with my insurance and have them give me the run around.