Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Rear Bumper and Trunk Damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 was hit in a parking lot while shopping about a month ago, and I have pretty decent damage to the bumper and trunk as pictured. I have an estimate on February 16th, and all the certified body shops say repairs are out until June/July timeframe in my area. Looking at the Tesla cam footage I noticed she was stuck on my vehicle and was reversing and going forward to get off my bumper. There is a large crack in the bumper as well with a piece of plastic sticking out, and the trunk is not flush anymore with the other panels. The car drives still, but I’ve noticed pulling while driving.

I guess my question is should I still be driving on it? I’ve told the insurance (the person who hit me was found liable so going with her insurance) I don’t feel safe to drive it, but they insist that I continue and won’t give me a rental until repairs are underway. I have a police report and everything since they were already on scene when I was hit.

I would also like to eventually trade this vehicle in for the new highland, as that was my plan before the accident but now I’m worried about diminished value. I don’t suppose it would be a good idea to trade it in now for the highland while the insurance claim is still open, even though the insurance company knows about the damages and has photos of it, and have the estimate done in February? Just frustrated and not sure I want to wait until summer to get it repaired and trade it in immediately. I’d like to know if I can just avoid the hassle of getting it repaired, knowing once it’s in for repairs there might be even more waiting time for parts.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_3305.jpeg
    IMG_3305.jpeg
    720.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
First of all, WELCOME! It is unfortunate that many owners only discover this place as suffering some sort of damage, but here we are, right?

I’m no estimator and none of us are anyway, but unless your airbags went off or the pyro fuse got blown, I’d guess that you’re OK to drive. I’m also guessing that it’s charging fine? Please confirm.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the welcome!

Yes it does charge fine. That was one of my main concerns being that it was hit on the charging side of the vehicle. Airbags did not go off either thankfully.

Also, nothing coming up on screen warning wise. The only thing I notice when driving is the pulling and the vehicle sometimes thinks that there is another vehicle there because my sensor is pushed in from the damage.

This is my first accident in a Tesla after owning one for around 4 years so it worries me when the sensors are messed up and going about working with insurance companies. I have Tesla insurance and since the other party was at fault they advised that I go with their insurance.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
That 'pulling' concerns me a little. You might want to have a shop look around the car and maybe
check alignment. Assuming the 'pull' is new as of the damage. A Service Center might be able
to say if the sensor issue might be relevant if you brought the car in.

In our first Model S (2014) I backed into a concrete wall (slowly) and had to remove the entire rear bumper
and sensors so we could drive home. .
That removal had no effect on the handling, but ... with newer cars? Dunno.

Upvote 0
That's a big parking lot fender bender. The other driver was nuts. Given the pulling, I'd have a shop look at the suspension, check alignment, but inspect it carefully.
Yeah unfortunately she was an elderly lady. She proceeded to park on the other side and go in to shop afterward. Of course, this comes after having a work injury so naturally life just keeps piling it on haha!

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Upvote 0
I doubt there would be suspension damages from a parking lot fender bender. You should check the car underside yourself and see if anything is out of place or touching the wheel. June/July is just crazy. It is Jan now. Can't imagine driving 6 months with that ugly scar on the car. Just remember to get the diminished value payout from the other insurance after repair. That will cover the drop in trade value. You can trade in for the new model after it is all settled.

Upvote 0
FYI, Tesla SC's sell and install bumpers painted in original color. I've had this done twice :confused: and the price was very good compared to body shop quotes. Can't see how much damage you have to the trunk lid but if it can't be buffed out they might be able to sell and install that too. Won't hurt to ask.

Upvote 0