Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door ding hit-and-run, license plate captured - How to file insurance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all:

My 2-month old Model Y got door dinged during a road trip to lake Tahoe while parked. Luckily sentry mode caught everything on video. The info I have are their car's make & model, and license plate number (from Nevada), but they already fled the scene so I don't have the driver's info or their insurance. I also called CHP but they said they can not start a case for me as it's technically "vandalism".

I have Tesla insurance and I live in California. I assume I'll have to file with my own insurance. Several questions here:

1. Will Tesla insurance lookup the other party's insurance info for me?
2. Since I have UMPD & collision & comprehensive coverage, I'm not supposed to pay anything (including deductible), right?
3. In the case that the other driver is uninsured / underinsured, will I be considered "at fault" and will my premium increase?

BTW I already filed claim and the adjuster said it would use my comprehensive / collision coverage and I need to pay deductible. I think this is very wrong and still communicating with them...

Thanks in advance!

1696285716654.jpeg

1696285723580.jpeg

1696285800411.jpeg

Picture of damage, surface is dented and metal is exposed:

1696285737701.jpeg

Last edited:
I have some updates from my adjuster.

So Tesla insurance helped identify the other party's info based on license plate, and luckily they are insured. They sent me a full report which includes the other party's name, address, policy number etc. I filed a new claim with their insurance, and waiting for their adjuster.

Tesla insurance told me I have two options, one is to file directly with their insurance, another is to still file with my own insurance. In this case I'll pay deductible first and they will try subrogation later. They also told me since I'm clearly not at fault, my premium will not increase.

As for UMPD, it does not apply here since the other party is identified and they are insured.

First, file a police report.

Then call your insurance company. If it's the other driver's fault, even if the police don't catch them, the claim doesn't count against you.
Thanks. I didn't file police report as the other party has been found.

Just curious why police report is important. Can they prove I'm not at fault? (but I assume dashcam video can prove it), and if I have no evidence, then the police won't be able to prove anything either.

Because people like this deserve to spend time in a federal penitentiary, serving as Deebo's girlfriend. LOL.
For a door ding?

Hi all:

My 2-month old Model Y got door dinged during a road trip to lake Tahoe while parked. Luckily sentry mode caught everything on video. The info I have are their car's make & model, and license plate number (from Nevada), but they already fled the scene so I don't have the driver's info or their insurance. I also called CHP but they said they can not start a case for me as it's technically "vandalism".

I have Tesla insurance and I live in California. I assume I'll have to file with my own insurance. Several questions here:

1. Will Tesla insurance lookup the other party's insurance info for me?
2. Since I have UMPD & collision & comprehensive coverage, I'm not supposed to pay anything (including deductible), right?
3. In the case that the other driver is uninsured / underinsured, will I be considered "at fault" and will my premium increase?

BTW I already filed claim and the adjuster said it would use my comprehensive / collision coverage and I need to pay deductible. I think this is very wrong and still communicating with them...

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 979081

View attachment 979082

View attachment 979085

Picture of damage, surface is dented and metal is exposed:

View attachment 979083
Why did you black out the face and license plate number? I’d let everyone see it.

Thanks. I didn't file police report as the other party has been found.

Just curious why police report is important. Can they prove I'm not at fault? (but I assume dashcam video can prove it), and if I have no evidence, then the police won't be able to prove anything either.
ALWAYS get a police report if you have an accident or damage caused by another party, and you are going to make an insurance claim.

...on getting a police report...

The insurance company wants an independent report on the accident. Hopefully one that identifies responsibility. It solves a lot of potential problems.
IMO the police won't have more information than the insurance company? So they will basically review the same evidence I submitted. So in terms of identifying responsibility does police have more advantage?

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
IMO the police won't have more information than the insurance company? So they will basically review the same evidence I submitted. So in terms of identifying responsibility does police have more advantage?
Yes, because they are on-site and will document all the stuff the insurance company needs.

Also ensures the information from the other driver(s) is recorded correctly.

Ex: When my (then) teenage eldest daughter was hit by another driver and failed to call the cops, the other driver gave her bad information.
However, I was still able to track him down, but it made the process pretty dodgy.

Reactions: GoodManFrank