Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

Austin Built Model Y with 4680

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You might want to ask where people who have gotten the 4680 Y's live to see if anyone is in Illinois. I know here in TX, even though I have an MYP on order, they keep offering me the 4680 Y. They may only be sticking to certain states, but I'm not positive on that. I've seen the offer pop up in my account multiple times now over the last week. I even saw it again earlier today.

You might want to regularly check Facebook Marketplace for the different major Texas Cities because I wouldn't be surprised to see someone try to flip one on there. Also check Texas zip codes on the other websites that are known for selling Teslas.

Upvote 0
You might want to ask where people who have gotten the 4680 Y's live to see if anyone is in Illinois. I know here in TX, even though I have an MYP on order, they keep offering me the 4680 Y. They may only be sticking to certain states, but I'm not positive on that. I've seen the offer pop up in my account multiple times now over the last week. I even saw it again earlier today.

You might want to regularly check Facebook Marketplace for the different major Texas Cities because I wouldn't be surprised to see someone try to flip one on there. Also check Texas zip codes on the other websites that are known for selling Teslas.
Out of curiosity, which Austin built Y? 4680 dual motor or the LR?

Upvote 0
Out of curiosity, which Austin built Y? 4680 dual motor or the LR?
It was the 4680 each time. It shows you the difference in price from your current order and each one offered was either $8k or $9k less than the MYP I have on order. If I remember correctly, the base price (without any upgrades) was $63k(?). I added white seats and tow to my MYP.

Reactions: btownalset
Upvote 0
Hello everyone, I am interested in Model Y Austin built and I am ok to give a premium to buy this. Please let me know if any one is interested to sell their Austin Built Model Y.
Guess I would ask why? Based on your recent post Time seems to be your primary interest. Why pay a premium when (in Chicago) you can get a MYP in August. I inquired and they said MYP is no issue. Use the premium offer to just get a Performance car.

Upvote 0
Not that include the 4680 batteries. That's specifically what they're looking for, not just any Austin build. Right now, that would limit them to the standard range. As far as we know, no LR Ys have gotten the 4680 batteries.
So I hope it is OK to build a question on some of the info here. Is there a way to tell if your car was built with 4680's or 2170's? My Model Y LR (grey) was built in Fremont and delivered a month ago with 2170's of course. However, my friends MYLR its being delivered next Wednesday and has an Austin VIN. We're trying to figure out if it will have 4680 or 2170 ... any thoughts?

Upvote 0
I can be wrong, but probably you can determine that by the position of the driver's seat. In the 4680 model the carpet under the seat goes a little bit higher. But again, not sure.. need to compare it with the Fremont build.
Thanks! I do like that extended carpet and package shelf. If I ordered a month later I probably would have gotten that, LOL. Oh well. I think all Austin MY's get that, both the 2170's and 4680's. I'm trying to figure out how to see the difference between an Austin 2170 and an Austin 4680. Hmm. Time will tell. Though my friends MY was supposed to be delivered this Wednesday just got bumped to September. Bummer. Oh well ...

Upvote 0
So.. Sandy Munro opened 4680 battery pack, and found there 828 battery cells. The capacity of one cell is 96-99Wh. Which means that total capacity of the battery pack is around 82KWh. Which is exactly the same capacity as current Long Range MY.
So the speculation, is that probably the Standard Range MY is software locked to use a lower capacity - makes sense. And probably when 4680s will be converted on full scale, Tesla will offer to unlock more capacity later for extra payment for the current MY Standard Range models.

Upvote 0
So.. Sandy Munro opened 4680 battery pack, and found there 828 battery cells. The capacity of one cell is 96-99Wh. Which means that total capacity of the battery pack is around 82KWh. Which is exactly the same capacity as current Long Range MY.
No. He found 828 cell cans. We don't know how many, if any, of them are dummy cells. (Tesla did that in the past with smaller packs.) We won't really know anything more until they get further in.

Reactions: Art84
Upvote 0