Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto high beams need some work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious as to other people's experience with auto high beams in the 3. Driving home last night on a highway the auto high beams were being what I'd describe as overly aggressive. A car would be coming the other direction and they'd turn off, but then they'd flip back on for 2 or 3 seconds before it detected another car. Then when taking an exit (highway to highway exit), the lights were off, then on for about 5 seconds, then off, then on again.

If a cop were watching me they'd think I was an idiot or was trying to flash people in the other direction.

I think Tesla needs to take a bit more of a moderating approach here. Maybe have some sort of minimum threshold before toggling them back on? I've only driven one other auto high-beam car (rental), and it worked a LOT better than this, but I don't believe it ever turned them on when on a highway.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
When auto headlights and wipers came to the X they worked OK but not great. Later on a new update refined them even more.

Seems Tesla will often get some feed back and data from their systems and be able to improve them over time.

Also, many people are hyper critical when something new is released and they pay lots of attenting to how it works. Later on they just take it for granted that it is there and give it little mind.

I am the same way with autopilot updates. When a new release comes out I pay super attention to precisely how the car reacts to every situation. Later on I just turn it on and use it when desired, while my mind attends to other thoughts.

My 3 goes high beam when there are no headlights coming or tail lights ahead. It sounds like the traffic you were in was sparse. Headlights appear, High beam goes off, car passes, High beam goes on. That's normal. Mine flips just about when I would, except I also flash numb brains who drive with their high beams on all the time.

• Helpful
Reactions: Bamagirl68
They should go high as soon as possible, it can't know if they can stay on for 5 minutes or 2 seconds. My MB had fade on/off for high beam - that would be a nice feature to add.

I think the Model X has high beams that fade up, and people complain that they don't want the delay, they want full power now. Even you said it: "They should go high as soon as possible"... ;)

I think the Model X has high beams that fade up, and people complain that they don't want the delay, they want full power now. Even you said it: "They should go high as soon as possible"... ;)

How long does the fade take on the X? I never timed it on the MB, but it was definitely less than a ½ second, I can't imagine complaining of a "delay". It was just nice that it was not an abrupt on/off.

I can’t even get my auto high beams to activate. I switched it on in quick settings but I don’t see any blue icon appear between the 2 green headlight/fog light icons. Is there something else I need to do to activate it?

It is actually auto-low beams. So you have to turn your high beams on, and then it will dim them when necessary.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and mrsandman