Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic Dryer/EV switcher for 24A Level2 charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning to install a Wall in 2023 after upgrading my distribution panel. In the meantime, I use my current dryer outlet, a NEMA 10-30R 3-wires to setup a 24A level 2 charging system. The 3-wires 10-30 (X,Y & Neutral, NO GROUND) setup was used by dryer for US houses built before 2000 thereafter being replaced by a 4-wires (X,Y, Neutral plus GROUND) system.

To avoid running both charger and dryer at the same time, I installed a Briidea Automatic Switch (BAS) that has a 3-feet heavy-duty cable with a 10-30P (plug) input and two 10-30R (receptacle) outputs. The BAS prioritizes the dryer and switches back to the charger when the dryer is done. For an aging distribution panel, it also keeps the total load (dryer+EV charging) at a maximum of 30A instead of 54A (dryer 30A+EV 24A) when both are individually wired to the panel.

I was surprised by the good engineering of the BAS, retailing on-line for $200+. I especially like the breakers and the insulation provided by the plastic housing, a plus for the ‘groundless’ 10-30. I believe that the low cost –as compared with the other automatic splitters- is due to the [1] thermoplastic housing, and [2] mostly to the use of standard ‘off the shelf’ DIN parts, such as DIN rails, DIN relay and DIN breakers as the pictured ABB 32A. DIN is used in all the households in Europe (all wired to 220VAC) and DIN elements such as breakers and relays are quite low priced. DIN components are only used in the US for industrial machines e.g. welder, mainframe computers, data centers, etc. I did not open the BAS case, but I will be happy to see what is inside if anybody has done it.

Note that the BAS output for the EV charger is a 10-30R receptacle. You need to use an adapter from this 10-30R to the Mobile Charger; this is not a bad accessory for the Tesla, as US houses built before 2000 have 10-30R dryer outlet that can be used when visiting friends or family. Without the automatic switcher, you can just unplug the dryer and plug in the Mobile Charger.

Attachments

• Briidea2pics.jpg
    Briidea2pics.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 213
Quick question - I read that 10-30 household dryer receptacles were designed only for a few hours of "constant use." Is there a possibility of the dryer plug overheating if charging a tesla overnight?

Thank you

People have been charging from 10-30 receptacles for years and I have yet to hear of any issues. Doesn't mean there won't be an issue, but I just haven't heard of any myself.