Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic Emergency Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time post; have searched a bit for an answer to this question, but haven't found anything.

I know that emergency braking can be disabled via the Driving section, but it will restore to 'active' at each new driving session. Is there a way - or, is something in the works - to make it selectable rather than always defaulting 'on'? Like others, I've had a couple of close calls where emergency braking activated - unnecessarily or over-cautiously - and I was nearly rear-ended by following traffic. As clever as the systems are in our cars, they still aren't at a level of human sophistication and discernment. For now, at least, I'd rather be responsible for my life and that of others with my own brain/hands/feet.

Notwithstanding this post, I am thrilled with my M3P in every other way!

FWIW, I’ve also had Emergency Braking activate on a particular on-ramp in the greater Jacksonville FL area. The curving on-ramp directly opposes a similarly curving off-ramp nearby such that two vehicles are briefly head-on while close aboard. I can only guess that the M3 sensors view it as an ‘emergency’ and apply braking until the opposing car has passed by. Unnerving!

Reactions: Msjulie
FWIW, I’ve also had Emergency Braking activate on a particular on-ramp in the greater Jacksonville FL area. The curving on-ramp directly opposes a similarly curving off-ramp nearby such that two vehicles are briefly head-on while close aboard. I can only guess that the M3 sensors view it as an ‘emergency’ and apply braking until the opposing car has passed by. Unnerving!

Maybe I just have my head in the sand, but this does not sound like a common annoyance. Try submitting a ticket for service, see what happens.

Are you sure automatic emergency braking is activating? I've never had my car do it. All I've ever gotten is the fwd collision alarm and I lowered it to low now so it's less likely.

If it happens, you WILL know it because it is very abrupt and loud! Everything I had on my front seat flew against the dash and fell to the floor. And I wasn't even going that fast (less than 20 mph). I also think it's too overly cautious. It's only happen to me one time and it was not even a close call because I was easily 6 feet behind the other car. I guess I was still on the pedal a little too strong when the car in front was stopped and the computer thought I didn't see it, even though I did and was just trying to get closer before braking. Anyway, it scared the crap out of me because it felt like I hit something (it was that abrupt!).