Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Cars in Hawaii

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reserved two Model 3s for the hell of it. Really only intend on using one of the reservations, but with the potential of autonomous cars and the Tesla Network, maybe I might buy the 2nd reservation and put the car in the Tesla Network...or maybe use it to help drive my 80+ year old father in law or my 80+ year old mother around.

What are the current ride share laws in Hawaii? I presume there are some since Uber is alive in our state.

How likely is it that Hawaii will allow the use of autonomous cars? When?
I'm guessing our laws will mirror California's since they almost always do, but I have no idea where we are in the adoption of autonomous car utilization.

Reactions: Akikiki
I reserved two Model 3s for the hell of it. Really only intend on using one of the reservations, but with the potential of autonomous cars and the Tesla Network, maybe I might buy the 2nd reservation and put the car in the Tesla Network...or maybe use it to help drive my 80+ year old father in law or my 80+ year old mother around.

What are the current ride share laws in Hawaii? I presume there are some since Uber is alive in our state.

How likely is it that Hawaii will allow the use of autonomous cars? When?
I'm guessing our laws will mirror California's since they almost always do, but I have no idea where we are in the adoption of autonomous car utilization.

IMO, self-driving won't be legal here for at least 2 to 3 years. Probably need to start talking to lawmakers now. Per the owners group call earlier this week, Tesla policy group is working on initiatives now for autonomous driving but who knows if/when they can help with Hawaii. Will keep everyone posted on any bills that pop up in other states.

This point in the bill is Interesting...

Retail sales. No autonomous motor vehicle shall be sold in this State unless it meets the operational requirements established by the department pursuant to section 286-B.

What does that mean for Tesla since the cars coming out now have the hardware capability?

Here's a list of the email addresses for the reps who introduced the bill last session. May be worth dropping them or your district rep to see if they'll be re-introducing the bill this session.

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Retail sales. No autonomous motor vehicle shall be sold in this State unless it meets the operational requirements established by the department pursuant to section 286-B.

What does that mean for Tesla since the cars coming out now have the hardware capability?

Probably nothing. You need the software to make it autonomous. Hardware alone does not make a car autonomous.

Probably nothing. You need the software to make it autonomous. Hardware alone does not make a car autonomous.

Still vague. Should push for Tesla friendly language...just in case. :) Will be interesting to see what other state legislation says. On the call the other day, they mentioned AZ, MA, and FL had positive bills introduced.

Ige pitches Google, Nvidia on testing self-driving cars in Hawaii

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/...vECoHFlPJ0bWOFcHw6YrV&t=1492564264&j=77974341

Excerpts from the article:
The governor said he met with Google (Nasdaq: GOOGL) and chip manufacturer Nvidia (Nasdaq: NVDA) to convince them about Hawaii’s advantages in testing and developing autonomous vehicles.

“I talked about opportunities for either of them to really look at Hawaii as a place to create and test vehicles,” he said. “We would like to work on the research-and-development side to help make sure that the vehicles can operate safely.

"We can create an environment that allows them to test the vehicles in a safe way and learn much more quickly than they could in any other state,” Ige said. "In Hawaii, we are self-contained so you don’t have to deal with those things."

Car manufacturers such as BMW, Volvo and Tesla are also working on driverless cars.

• Love
Reactions: StephenM
I really have to give Ige props for being forward thinking and proactive in this regard. There's nothing that would alleviate our traffic better than fully autonomous cars en masse. It's almost impossible to build more roads here, so efficiency is the answer.

Reactions: nanimac
Article on self driving cars. U.S. to unveil revised self-driving car guidelines: sources | One America News Network

Below is an interesting quote from the article with an interesting part bolded/underlined.

"On Wednesday, the U.S. House of Representatives will vote on a sweeping proposal to speed deployment of self-driving cars without human controls and bar states from blocking autonomous vehicles. The measure could help many automakers and tech companies keep their pledges of getting self-driving cars on the market by 2020 or 2021."

I suppose that still leaves room for the states to make reasonable restrictions, but they can't block self driving cars if this law gets passed.