Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I gave up my fsd subscription and now using basic autopilot- question when i engage does it always engage at my present speed or follow the offset to posted speed? Today im driving with it engaged and speed limit is 45mph and i am cruising at 70mph. So it ignores speed limit and offset?

Attachments

• IMG_5029.jpeg
    IMG_5029.jpeg
    407.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_5028.jpeg
    IMG_5028.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5027.jpeg
    IMG_5027.jpeg
    271 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5026.jpeg
    IMG_5026.jpeg
    334.2 KB · Views: 55
If you are below the offset speed it sets to offset speed. If above offset speed, but on a divided highway, it will take your current speed. If above offset speed, but on a regular road, it will set at the max 5 mph over posted speed limit (or whatever speed limit it thinks it is, even if it's wrong.)

EDIT: I should have added this is only for Autopilot. FSD will let you set a cruise speed greater than 5mph over posted speed on regular roads in addition to divided highways.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can you elaborate on the speed limit shown on the Touchscreen for Current, Max and Speed limit with Basic Autopilot (AP)with the following scenarios:

1. Set speed at 55, Current speed 55, Max Speed 55 (with 5 offset), Speed limit 50, 50 speed limit sign....pass a 35 speed limit sign.

2. Set speed at 35, Current speed 40, Max Speed 40 (with 5 offset), Speed limit 35, 35 speed limit sign...pass a 50 speed limit sign.

3. Similar to "1" above but setting AP in a 50 zone...passing a 35 sign...and then passing a 50 sign.

4. Similar to "2" above but setting AP in a 35 zone...passing a 50 sign...and then passing a 35 sign.

My three month trial of FSD expired last week (didn't work well for me and was just using AP or maybe it was EAP) and relearning AP because AP is not making sense to me. My experience in "3" above was mixed. In one instance, AP chimed (with Chime set when over speed limit) AP changed the Max to 40 and Speed limit to 35 and Current speed dropping from 55 to 40 and then in "3"...AP changed the Max speed to 55, Speed limit to 50 and started to increase Current speed to 55 from 40. The same day, in "1" above, Speed limit changed to 35, chimed, but Current and Max speed remained at 55. I waited until my tolerance level of going 20 over the speed limit was reached and long pressed the right stalk to reset AP and then the Max speed changed to 40 and Current speed dropped to 40.

Couple of days ago, merged on to highway, set speed to 60, Current 60, Max 60, Speed limit 55 and some mysterious, invisible sign, AP changed the Speed limit to 45, chimed, Current speed and Max speed changed to 50....then up ahead a 55 sign, AP changes the Speed limit to 55, but Current and Max speed remained at 50....so I long pressed the right stalk to reset the AP speeds and Current and Max speed increased to 60...only to approach a section of the highway where there is a transition from concrete to asphalt and back to concrete...the car starts to slowdown and then accelerate and then slowdown. Wife was going...WTH I was doing and she was to'ed and getting car sick.

So how does AP supposed to work? Maybe if

dn325ci

could elaborate more. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Okay...from the manual that doesn't match the way AP is behaving:

Cruising Near or On Exits​

When you are cruising near an exit on a controlled-access highway and engage the turn signal toward the off-ramp, Autopilot assumes you are exiting and begins to slow down Model Y. If you do not drive onto the off-ramp, Autopilot resumes cruising at the set speed.

The word "and" in the first sentence does not apply to the repeatable slow down and speed up I've experienced since I did not have the turn signal on. BUT the next paragraph is hinting AI:

When enabled while on a highway interchange or off-ramp, Traffic-Aware Cruise Control may reduce your set speed in 5 mph (5 km/h) increments – to as slow as 25 mph (40 km/h) – to better match the reported speeds of other Tesla vehicles that have driven at that specific location. To override this and continue cruising at your set speed, tap the accelerator pedal. The new set speed is maintained for the duration of the interchange or off-ramp (unless you override it or cancel Autopilot). After the interchange or off-ramp, the set speed may revert or change as necessary based on the new location. For example, if you merged onto a different highway, the set cruising speed reverts to what it was before driving on the interchange.

"to better match the reported speeds of other Tesla vehicles that have driven at that specific location"....so other Tesla vehicles have slowed down in this particular section of highway is the reason for my slowdowns on the highway where there's no visible signage to change the Speed limit on the Touchscreen?

And the next warning paragraph:

Warning
In some cases (such as having insufficient data), Traffic-Aware Cruise Control may not automatically reduce the set speed on the highway interchange or off-ramp. Do not rely on Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to determine an appropriate driving speed. Tesla recommends driving at a speed that is safe for road conditions and within posted speed limits.

So AP "MAY" not automagically reduce the set speed.

And finally:

When cruising onto an on-ramp to a controlled-access highway, Autopilot automatically adjusts the set cruising speed to the speed limit of the highway, plus any offset you have specified.

I have not experienced AP adjusting the speed to the speed limit of the highway. Tried today, set speed 40, max 40, speed limit 35 in a 35 signage zone....passed the 50 sign and speed limit changed to 50 but the cruising speed and max speed remained at 40. So AP is not working according to the manual. OR is the cop out is the warning not to rely TACC to determine the appropriate driving speed.

So I don't know...does AP change the speed and in what particular situation?

Tonight...set 30, max 30, speed limit 25...in a 25 speed zone...passed another 25 sign and cruise speed remained 30, max 30, but the speed limit changed to 35. No logical reason since I'm not on a highway or off-ramp. Already did the two finger salute. The uncertainty of when the speed change will occur or not occur makes AP a nuisance rather than an aid.

Upvote 0
Yes...I don't have to use AP...but the inconsistencies for a tech company is surprising. Yes...Auto wipers was ridiculous...a lot better with the Holiday release. Parking assist...okay. Again...for a tech company...yowza. Developing the software as we drive. As long as there is a rhyme or reason how AP changes the cruising speed, then would be easier to understand the strengths and weaknesses. As I originally stated...I was on the three month FSD trial and was using pretty much the AP or EAP. Now updated (or down-graded) to Basic AP and re-learning the idiosyncrasies of AP....same car...different software stack loaded.

Upvote 0
Tested the off-ramp scenario with some thumbs up but then some head scratching. On highway…set 60, max 60, speed limit 55…signal right to take off-ramp…pass 35 sign…AP changed set to 40, max 40, speed limit to 35…no speed signs and AP changed the speed limit to 45, but kept the set and max at 40…pass a 35 sign and AP changed the speed limit to 35…pass a 25 school zone speed limit sign and then a 30 sign and AP only changed after passing the 30 sign but the set and max remained at 40. So I guess AP will automagically change the speed when exiting the highway with a turn signal. Question would be for some off-ramps is just the lane you’re in so no turn signal is required, would AP adjust the speed? Don’t think so.

Upvote 0
Can you elaborate on the speed limit shown on the Touchscreen for Current, Max and Speed limit with Basic Autopilot (AP)with the following scenarios:

1. Set speed at 55, Current speed 55, Max Speed 55 (with 5 offset), Speed limit 50, 50 speed limit sign....pass a 35 speed limit sign.

2. Set speed at 35, Current speed 40, Max Speed 40 (with 5 offset), Speed limit 35, 35 speed limit sign...pass a 50 speed limit sign.

3. Similar to "1" above but setting AP in a 50 zone...passing a 35 sign...and then passing a 50 sign.

4. Similar to "2" above but setting AP in a 35 zone...passing a 50 sign...and then passing a 35 sign.

My three month trial of FSD expired last week (didn't work well for me and was just using AP or maybe it was EAP) and relearning AP because AP is not making sense to me. My experience in "3" above was mixed. In one instance, AP chimed (with Chime set when over speed limit) AP changed the Max to 40 and Speed limit to 35 and Current speed dropping from 55 to 40 and then in "3"...AP changed the Max speed to 55, Speed limit to 50 and started to increase Current speed to 55 from 40. The same day, in "1" above, Speed limit changed to 35, chimed, but Current and Max speed remained at 55. I waited until my tolerance level of going 20 over the speed limit was reached and long pressed the right stalk to reset AP and then the Max speed changed to 40 and Current speed dropped to 40.

Couple of days ago, merged on to highway, set speed to 60, Current 60, Max 60, Speed limit 55 and some mysterious, invisible sign, AP changed the Speed limit to 45, chimed, Current speed and Max speed changed to 50....then up ahead a 55 sign, AP changes the Speed limit to 55, but Current and Max speed remained at 50....so I long pressed the right stalk to reset the AP speeds and Current and Max speed increased to 60...only to approach a section of the highway where there is a transition from concrete to asphalt and back to concrete...the car starts to slowdown and then accelerate and then slowdown. Wife was going...WTH I was doing and she was to'ed and getting car sick.

So how does AP supposed to work? Maybe if

dn325ci

could elaborate more. Thanks.
OK I tried to follow you here. Now remember the behavior for divided highways is different, as the 5 mph maximum overage rule for two-lane is removed.
  1. The car slows down to 40 mph for anything other than a divided highway
  2. I believe this scenario assumes that your setting for offset for auto pilot is set to the nominal speed limit. In settings, I have a fixed offset for auto pilot engagement at 10 mile an hour over. Assuming that you do set your offset for more than 5 mph then I find the car’s behavior to do one of two things: it will either remain at 40 mph if you had set it in that speed zone, or it will revert to 5 mph over the new speed limit if you were previously traveling at 5 mph over a higher speed limit and the car slowed itself down when entering the zone. It will go back to the higher set point when the higher speed zone returns.
  3. In this scenario, the car will return to the higher speed.
  4. In this scenario, the car will not go up to 55 mph until told to do so and therefore it will remain at 40 mph the whole time.
Reminder that highway ramps that are treated as non-divided highways so the 5 mph over maximum applies and further, I find that speed limit for on ramps are not always correct in navigation software. Most of the time they seem to have the speed limit from the previous road, but sometimes it has a lower speed limit set by navigation software, and other times it slows down because of the curvature of the road. So there is a lot of variation around how ramps are handled.

Note that I’ve also observed auto pilot to ignore some speed signs recently. This is new in recent software. I have passed speed signs recently that the cameras ignored and that’s new to me. I don’t know if it’s defaulting to navigation data first or something has changed about speed sign recognition. I’m wondering if it will be fixed in a future software update.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From my experience...AP does not recognize yellow speed limit signs which are prevalent here on the off-ramps. AP does not recognize school speed limit zones...even with the lights blinking.

1. Set 55, Max 55, SL 50...pass a 35 sign...does not slow down. If, and so far "iffy", using the turn signal and exit an off-ramp, then kind of yes, AP will slow down.
2. Set 40, Max 40, SL 35...pass a 50 sign...does not speed up. Manual says on-ramps to highway, should speed up to highway speed. I tried today on-ramp to highway and AP shows SL as 50, but Set and Max remained at 40. Tap, tap, tap the Touchscreen...guess need a longer tap for AP to reset the Set and Max speeds. Quick tap, tap., tap...the guy behind is getting irritated...pressing the GO pedal to speed up...cruise control will not stop warning...guess will just do a long press the right stalk.
3. I would assume Set and Max speed won't change...only the SL would change from 50, to 35, back to 50, with a over the speed limit chime passing the 35 sign.
4. Again, I would assume Set and Max won't change...only the SL would change from 35, to 50, back to 35. This is assuming no mystery, hidden, default, "other Tesla vehicle" SL change.

Still curious about the concrete to asphalt to concrete transitions on the highway, that sometimes there's a slow down then speed up then slow down. I asked the co-pilot (aka Wife) to watch the Touchscreen the next time to see if the SL is changing...but AP shouldn't be changing the speed....maybe object avoidance?

What fun...adapting to software/tech after the removal of the FSD trial...and right before v12 coming out. Shucks.

Upvote 0
Okay...gremlin in my 2023 MYLR. I've driven a particular route at least two times a week and familiar with the AP speed change quirkiness during the three month trial of FSD and couple of weeks with AP. And all of my questions and scenarios above pretty much answered for me what to expect from AP. So today...passing the same spot where AP would change the Speed Limit (SL) from 55 to 35 for no logical reason other than maybe the off-ramp speed limit but have not seen such signage but anyways...AP SL would change from 55 to 35...1/4 mile further down the airport viaduct...AP SL would change back to 55...only to change back to 35 a little further and then back to 55. So have been pressing the GO pedal otherwise will get rear ended or receiving end of road rage. Today...AP SL didn't change one bit through this section....first time. So shrug my shoulders. Don't know what changed. Oh...maybe data....AI...or gremlin messing with me.

Bottom line....Autopilot is a misnomer...should be called Semi-Autopilot. AP does not "auto" speed change with respect to speed limit signs. AP will change the SL on the Touchscreen and chime to warn about going over the speed limit., but not much as an aid to slow down or speed up for the changing speed zones. Okay...AP with Autosteer kind of "auto" lane keep, but I normally use TACC part of AP...so sort of "auto" adapt speed with respect to traffic.

The final conclusion....AP does not auto change speed reliably off-ramp and on-ramp as mentioned in the manual. AP is a little better than cruise control with Autosteer and following traffic speed. But AP without Autosteer (which is just TACC) and other than following a vehicle...and possibly due to the lack of data according to the manual....AP is just old cruise control with a gremlin that pops up once in awhile to mess with you (i.e. phantom braking).

Upvote 0