Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad Experience with Tesla Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Similar thing happened to me. I was on the east coast for a work trip the week before Christmas, and low and behold Tesla calls on a Sunday afternoon and wants me to take delivery that day if possible. I tell them I won't be back until Wednesday, so a Thursday delivery was my preference. No go. The car will be given to someone else.

Long story short, I changed my return flight on Wednesday to the earliest possible on a same-day-confirmed flight on Delta. Got in at 1pm, and had the Uber take me directly from SFO to the delivery center. I was pretty tired, so we did paperwork and delivery in about 10 minutes before I drove off the lot.

The queue of people arriving to pick up cars was like clockwork, and the operation had a machine-like feel to it. But the car is nice.

I think Tesla was really nervous about having a lot of unsold inventory on January 1. It’s hard to know how many people were willing buyers when the tax credit was available but would hold off on a purchase if they could not take delivery in time for the credit. The risk was having to write down a large amount of inventory by $1,875 per car to move them off the lot. That could be very expensive if they had a significant amount of unsold cars.

With the tax credit now history, I bet they will be a lot more accommodating to potential buyers.

Subaru dealerships have a benchmark that Tesla can aim for and possibly achieve. Don't justify bad processes or niche situations.

My first car was a Subaru - a dealer in Tilton, NH moved the only car available nearby (100miles away) and delivered it to my office along with all the paperwork. In two days.

I see Tesla becoming similar in years to come when there would be more EV competition.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer