Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Base coat color? (Scratches)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I’m considering the paint purchase for a Black Exterior and Interior. On my current car, any scratches through its black paint show white, so I figure this is the color of the base coat. I was wondering if Tesla’s base coat is a certain color to give it some more visual resistance to scratching. I’m having a hard time between black and white exteriors but that could help me decide.

The colour of your base coat is the colour of your car. A black car will have black base coat, a white car will have white base coat, a blue car will have blue base coat, etc.The only variation is tricoats where you have a base coat then a mid coat.

If you're seeing white scratches in your black car they are either in the clear coat, or very deep and through the base into something else, but shouldn't be white.

But if you're talking about superficial scratches and swirl marks they do stand out more in dark colors, especially black. If this is what you're experiencing and want to avoid it you'd want to go with a lighter colour. White tends to hide scratches and dents the most.

• Informative
Reactions: Pilot1226