Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Basic Insurance Claim Question(s)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RubberToe

Supporting the greater good
Jun 28, 2012
El Lay
All,
Some basic insurance claim questions since I'm having trouble finding FAQ answers, never filed an insurance claim, and hoping someone here can help.

Someone backed into my Model Y and put a small scratch into the rear bumper. The at fault driver gave me their AAA policy number, so I contacted AAA. Took pictures and they came back with a ~$700 repair estimate. Took the Y into a local recommended Tesla repair shop (almost all 5 star reviews!) and got a ~$2,700 estimate. Sent that to AAA and AAA comes back with an additional ~$1,600 including 6 days of rental car coverage, for a $2,300 total. The shop said painting the rear bumper requires 3 coats and each coat must dry, so they need the car for two weeks. :oops:

So AAA sent me two checks: $700 and $1,600. When I spoke to the repair shop, they said something about signing the AAA check(s) over to them, and they would bill AAA for anything not covered by the checks. But if I end up getting a rental car for more than 6 days (what AAA covers), it isn't clear if I will get reimbursed. And AAA is covering $70 per day for the rental car. My wife is currently off work due to a broken ankle, so I might be able to drive her car and avoid the rental car route, but not clear if/how I return unused rental car funds to AAA.

The scratch is pretty minor, but I do typically keep my cars in pristine condition (weekly hand wash) so I can sell them for top dollar if/when I upgrade. I'm almost tempted to just not repair the scratch (no body damage, dent etc.) and just tear up the checks from AAA to avoid the hassle associated with going through the whole process.

Any advice going forward? And, if I end up having a rental car for 14 days versus the 6 that AAA is covering can I somehow get that reimbursed?

RT

Can you post pics of the 'scratch'?

It may not be worth any of this. Consider another alternative:
See if the claim can be cancelled and just propose the other guy pay you $1000 and you absolve him of all further responsibility, in writing. Scratches can be repaired by oither means, not involving insurance claims. Save your first claim for the big stuff. I say this because the diminished value on the CarFax will cost way more than few grand of seemingly over-priced repair cost (unless leased), not to mention a slight boost in rates for next 5 years because you made a claim (even when not your fault, rates do rise a bit because you lose the 'no claims' reduction).

I don't have a picture unfortunately, I used the AAA app to upload the pictures. I think I'm ok insurance wise as the other guys insurance is paying for this. Car is in the shop now and it looks like insurance will cover the whole cost including my two week Model Y rental.

RT

I’ll try to answer your questions.AAA is the third party insurer. Any money you accept from the is considered a settlement ( whether or not you sign a release.) What you do with that money is your business ,even if you elect not to repair the car. the same goes for their rental reimbursement.