Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Basic question about charge curve when DC fast charging at non-tesla stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm doing the CCS retrofit. When I normally charge at a supercharger, the power follows a curve depending on the battery state of charge. so the power tapers down as the battery state of charge increases.

I'm guessing when I charge at a non-tesla DC fast charger, the car will communicate with the DC fast charger and tell it how much power to deliver? So it would still follow the same charging curve as it would at Tesla superchargers?

Thanks.

I'm guessing when I charge at a non-tesla DC fast charger, the car will communicate with the DC fast charger and tell it how much power to deliver? So it would still follow the same charging curve as it would at Tesla superchargers?
Yes, it's still basically the same thing, that the car tells the external DC charger what to send.

It's possible the charge curve may be a little bit different just because of the capabilities of the charger. Some of them just have lower amp capabilities than Superchagers, so you may see a pretty flat charging power for a while that seems lower than you expect, and that may just be a limitation of that station.

You also won't get the benefit of pre-conditioning the battery for charging when going to a third party charger. When you navigate to a Supercharger far enough in advance, it will make sure the battery is at the optimal temperature for the fastest possible charging.

You also won't get the benefit of pre-conditioning the battery for charging when going to a third party charger. When you navigate to a Supercharger far enough in advance, it will make sure the battery is at the optimal temperature for the fastest possible charging.
This seems to vary. I have used quite a few non Tesla DC fast chargers here in France (and in Ireland just recently). Those that are found in the maps database often do or have provoke(d) preconditioning in my car when I navigate to them. There are just as many though that don't and they generally are not found by the cars map, maybe because they are quite recently installed. So it's seems to be a bit of a lottery :)

Last edited: