Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery capacity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my LR AWD Y in March, have 4000 miles. Starting out, when I charged 80%, it used to charge to 254 miles. Recently its come down to 241. So today I decided to try 100% charge, and its only charging to 299. Can that be accurate?

Got my LR AWD Y in March, have 4000 miles. Starting out, when I charged 80%, it used to charge to 254 miles. Recently its come down to 241. So today I decided to try 100% charge, and its only charging to 299. Can that be accurate?
You need to do a battery reset. Charge to 100%, then deplete to 10% 3 times consecutively (charging at 12amps max). While driving, chant “da mihi potestatem fulgur!” nonstop.

• Funny
Reactions: Matsayz
This seems to happen a lot to those that charge at 80% or lower. I keep both my 3 & Y at 90% no issues with the drop in range. What killed my range on the model 3 was a firmware update.

Fred

Reactions: firerock
Yes it’s completely normal. It also sounds like you don’t drive much which doesn’t let the battery drain which then doesn’t let the car know how much range to estimate for you.

There’s no need to drop down to 10%, just go for a longer drive than normal if you just want to see a higher range. In 4000mi you haven’t “lost” forever those handful of miles of estimated range. The car is just working off the data it has.

This link is from the Model 3 battery section of the forum but still applies and I think the admins need to copy the links over for the Model Y section. MASTER THREAD: Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, How to Maintain Battery Health

A
lso, what’s your charging situation? Are you charging to somewhere between 70-90%? If so then good, also just leave the car plugged in when not in use.

And don’t over think this all too much, you’ve still got a ton of estimated range.

• Informative
Reactions: empiredown
I have 10k had my car since April 8th I actually drive a bit I kinda wish I would have charged to 100 when I first got it to see what it would show. My car will now show 299 at 100% I don't worry about it much at all. I have left my in energy percent not miles since I got it and I don't use any more energy on my daily commute then when I first got it.

Honestly, if you have inductions, 299 is probably a more accurate representation of range at a full charge. 19 to 20 incurs a 5-7% efficiency loss

Exactly and to achieve the EPA rating of 315 or whatever it is today you'd have to drive like 50mph on a completely flat surface with no headwinds. Getting over 250mi of range out of a Model Y is doable but not at 80mph going up hill. But that's why there are more and more SuperChargers being built. Make sure to use the Nav on long trips so that the car will automatically tell you what charger to stop at (for how long as well) and it'll pre-condition the battery (heat it up) for the fastest possible charge depending on conditions (battery temp mainly).

I really wish Tesla would start advertising and explaining this stuff.