Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wants to replace my Model Y Standard Range battery pack with an LFP pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been a few weeks now since I got my car back. I have to say I'm quite pleased with the results. It doesn't appear to ride or handle any different than before. It's nice knowing that although I've got a three year old car it's got "a brand new engine with zero miles on it". And the best part is that I leave the house every day with 244 miles of usable range rather than the 189 or whatever it was I was getting at 80%.
Thats awesome man!

One last question.. how often did you use to Supercharge the original battery pack? Also did you charge daily to 80%? 90%? Just trying to figure out if there is anything I can do to help avoid this situation. Although if it does happen.. I certainly hope it does before I hit the 100K mile mark and lose the warranty on the battery. Im at 65K right now after 37 months of ownership.

Supercharger visits were extremely rare. Maybe 15 times total. At home I charged to 80% nearly all the time. I also charged at home with 110V 15A.
Wow that makes it even more scary. You essentially babied that battery for 3 years.. and it still failed!!

FWIW I use DC fast chargers about 4-10x per month.. charge to 90% most days.. and now at 65K miles with the exact same car with a 100% range estimate of 219 miles. That said Im paying attention for any of the charging errors you posted.

Thanks for sharing your entire experience from problem to resolution. Does make me sleep a little better knowing that if something does happen.. the LFP replacement is basically a better-than-new warranty replacement. Hope the car serves you well for the rest of your ownership period!

Reactions: timeshifter
Wow that makes it even more scary. You essentially babied that battery for 3 years.. and it still failed!!
I tend to think of whatever failed was a minor component, maybe some kind of sensor or whatever, not like a majority of the cells failed. The battery management failed, not the battery. And if this were to have happened after the 8 years / 100,000 mile warranty was used up then I'm optimistic some 3rd party might be able to repair it vs replace the whole pack.

Then again, I probably don't really understand what I'm talking about and just making things up.

Then again, I probably don't really understand what I'm talking about and just making things up.
Nah, you’ve got the basic read of it. It’s like 95% dumb luck. “Babying” the battery might yield you like 3% less degradation over 7-10 years, but it isn’t gonna do much of anything to protect against outright failure of the pack.

Supercharge early, supercharge often. Live on the edge, charge to 100% when you need or want to. Drink full fat milk.

Charging the battery to 80% with low enough usage to be able to use 120V 15A charging suggests that the battery spent most of its time in the higher degradation range above 55% for an NCA battery.

But that is not really a factor in "random" failures of a cell or few, or the BMS, or some other component.

Personally I would guess that the smaller 2170 SR packs are going to have a higher rate of cell-imbalance failures, just due to the fact that fewer cells are being asked to do more work. Sort of like the old 14 module Legacy S/X packs had much higher degradation than the 16 module packs in the same vehicle. Just a guess.

LFP is a different animal and should outlast all other pack types.