Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USA MY RWD has soft limited LR battery!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm guessing you didn't read Braden's entire post or watch his video. He explains there.
Yes I did, but the info could be dated. For the first time, on the Q1 2024 earnings call, Elon talked about a glut of batteries in the market. Tesla might be putting in diff types of batttery tech depending on market conditions in order to maximize their overall margins

When we get EPA data on this RWD 2024 we’ll be able to do a more direct comparison.

The data for the 2024 Model Y RWD is already out, ~66 kWh extracted on the EPA testing. The outstanding question was if it was software locked or a physically smaller pack, which has now been verified to be sw locked. That was evident by the curb weight of the vehicle but good to have confirmation:

2024 Model Y RWD: https://dis.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=59784&flag=1

The remaining mystery is why for the 2024 model year the Model Y AWD LR has gone from the previous ~81 kWh to 78.8kWh just like the LG LR packs:

2023 Model Y AWD LR: https://dis.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=56796&flag=1

2024 Model Y AWD LR: https://dis.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=59682&flag=1

The data for the 2024 Model Y RWD is already out, ~66 kWh extracted on the EPA testing. The outstanding question was if it was software locked or a physically smaller pack, which has now been verified to be sw locked. That was evident by the curb weight of the vehicle but good to have confirmation:

2024 Model Y RWD: https://dis.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=59784&flag=1
I know that. I meant published to fueleconomy.gov, sorry for the confusion. Also note that the 2024 Model Y RWD only provides two cycle results, which is a change from prior years. It's not clear that this data is all complete/final.

It's been known for a while that it was software locked - discussed in the other thread and the above link referenced.

I also did the referenced comparison just now in the other thread - the LFP and the NCA seem to have basically identical efficiency in the normal temp Highway Charge Depletion test.

The remaining mystery is why for the 2024 model year the Model Y AWD LR has gone from the previous ~81 kWh to 78.8kWh just like the LG LR packs:
Yes, that is a mystery! Again, no data published to fueleconomy.gov yet. Not sure why that is.

Last edited:
Reactions: AAKEE and RVAC
You posted right after a post comparing 4680 in AWD to the Panasonic 2170 Model 3 2024 RWD.

Then you started discussing LFP, totally different topic which was not being addressed or criticized.

The issue is that the 4680 sucks. In the Cybertruck the v2 version sucks very slightly less but still sucks.

It’s one of the biggest recent failings of Tesla. With a 4680 that met the original objectives they’d have cars & trucks with much better value. Consumers can figure this out…

Here is another way to look at it - the taper is super important, not so much the peak charging rate (if you have both minimal taper and high charge rate that is best of course).

The LFP isn’t a bad pack option but your comparison exaggerates the benefit. Just compare carefully with the pack energy and the efficiency. Historically efficiency of the vehicles with NCA packs has been slightly better than the LFPs. When we get EPA data on this RWD 2024 we’ll be able to do a more direct comparison.

But in any case the original post wasn’t even criticizing LFP - which is a very decent pack option
Does 2023 Model Y RWD have 4680s?

What battery does the 2023 Model Y RWD have?
A long range battery pack that is software limited to 69-70 kWh. According to the post referenced below, it’s specifically the LG E3 M50F:

Last edited:
Reactions: StT4R and tunnu
It does look like 2024 MY RWD has software locked charging. Branden Flasch's data on outofspecstudios.com shows a flat curve at 160 kW until 40% SOC. It looks like the 2024 pack falls below 160 kW a little before 40‰ but then the charge curves should be pretty similar.

I estimate the 2023 model would add about 5 kWh extra in the first 10 minutes of charging (assuming plugging in at low SOC). That would translate to an additional 16-20 miles highway range (70-80 mph) added.

A long range battery pack that is software limited to 69-70 kWh. According to the post referenced below, it’s specifically the LG E3 M50F:

According to Elon Musk, they are trying to get regulatory approval for unlocking more range with a $1500 to $2000 software upgrade. Also seems that they have been using more than one kind of cell.

We’re due to take delivery of a now “old” MY RWD for a 2 year lease. The delivery date was pushed out to next week.

Will Tesla swap it out for this newer RWD variant? The VIN has NOT been assigned yet.

If not, can we charge to 95% daily without having issues with the lease terms? I’m assuming since the old battery is software locked there is no concern about degradation; I’m just concerned about Tesla monitoring our charging stats and still giving us trouble when we turn in the car.

You can probably reach out to your designated contact and have the order switched to LR RWD if you don’t have a VIN and haven’t started the payment process yet. Of course, you would have to pay the difference in price since it’s a different model.

But I wouldn’t expect to magically receive a LR RWD at the same price at delivery. It’s relatively trivial for them to software lock the battery before delivery even if it was manufactured as a LR RWD.

According to Elon Musk, they are trying to get regulatory approval for unlocking more range with a $1500 to $2000 software upgrade. Also seems that they have been using more than one kind of cell.

This may explain why tesla limited charging speed on 2024 MY RWD. I expect the paid unlock will also unlock charging speed. Otherwise, most of the commuters living in the city would not pay to get the 60miles additional range alone as they can simply charge the car to 100% every time to practically increase their daily range without worrying about battery degradation.

Now I'm curious whether tesla will offer the same software unlock option to 2023 MY RWD owners.

Old 260 miles and can charge 100% due to the locking the top 20%, daily 10-100% 0.9x 260 234, max 5-100% 0.95x260 247 miles
Vs
New 320 and should stay at and below top 20%
Result daily 10-80% 0.7 224, max 5-95% 0.9x320 288 miles
Only advantage of new LR RWD is for road trips and getting 288 miles
If you don’t road trip, enjoy the old cheaper RWD